Help for Mobile Home Owners and Renters

Release Date:
September 21, 2023

Mobile home owners and renters affected by Vermont’s July storms can apply for FEMA assistance.

How to Apply

If you live in Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham or Windsor counties, FEMA may be able to help cover temporary housing, basic home repairs and other disaster-related needs.

The application process for all impacted households is the same.

To apply, visit, download the FEMA App, or call FEMA’s toll-free helpline at 800-621-3362 with language translation available. If you use a relay service such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA your number for that service when you apply.

For in-person help, visit a Disaster Recovery Center, where FEMA specialists can help with applications, answer questions and provide referrals to resources. To find a center near you, visit

For an accessible video about how to apply, go to FEMA Accessible: Three Ways to Register for FEMA Disaster Assistance - YouTube.

File an Insurance Claim

If you have homeowners, renters, mobile home or flood insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance, so FEMA needs to see what your insurance covers before it can process your application.

Home Inspection

If you cannot safely live in your home, FEMA will need to verify the level of damage through a home inspection.

FEMA staff will call you to schedule the inspection, possibly from an unknown or restricted number. The inspector will only visit when you, your co-applicant, or another person you designate in writing is present.

FEMA inspectors are trained to recognize damage caused by a disaster, but they do not decide if you will receive assistance. FEMA will provide reasonable accommodations, including translation and ASL interpreters, to ensure you and the inspector can communicate. The inspection may take up to 45 minutes to complete.

Note that FEMA inspectors do not condemn homes, and a condemnation notice issued by your state or town does not guarantee a specific award amount from FEMA. Make sure to ask questions about both processes to ensure you have a complete understanding of your recovery options.

For more information about FEMA home inspections, visit Home Inspections |, or watch the accessible video at FEMA Accessible: Home Inspections - YouTube.

U.S. Small Business Administration

FEMA may refer you to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to apply for a long term, low interest disaster loan. Once FEMA refers you, you should submit the application as soon as possible. SBA loans are the largest source of federal recovery funds for survivors – and applying for one allows FEMA to consider you for other types of assistance.

The SBA offers long-term, low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters. It’s free to apply, and you don’t have to accept the loan if you’re approved. If the SBA finds you ineligible, they will refer you back to FEMA, which will then evaluate you for additional types of aid.

To learn more about SBA disaster assistance, call 800-659-2955 or visit

You Can Appeal

You will receive a letter from FEMA either by mail or on your account, based on the preference you indicated when you applied. The letter will explain whether FEMA has found you eligible for assistance, how much, and how it must be used.

If your letter says you’re ineligible, it does not mean you’re denied. The letter will explain how to appeal the decision – it’s often as simple as submitting an extra document. For more information, visit How Do I Appeal the Final Decision? |

Help is Available

For in-person help with any step of this process, visit a Disaster Recovery Center, where specialists from FEMA and the SBA can answer questions, help you submit documents and guide you through the appeals process. Centers are open in impacted areas across the state – to find one near you, visit

For the latest information on Vermont’s recovery, visit Follow the FEMA Region 1 account at Twitter or the Facebook page at

Follow Vermont Emergency Management on Twitter at and on Facebook at

Last updated