When you return home, be careful in the cleanup process.
- If you have a generator, operate it safely. Only use it outside (never indoors) and follow guidance to ensure it connects safely to your home.
- Do not use a generator indoors or in partially enclosed spaces including homes, garages, and crawl spaces.
- Be careful during clean-up. Wear protective clothing, use appropriate face coverings or masks if cleaning mold or other debris.
- Don’t work alone.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are standing in water. If it is safe to do so, turn off electricity at the main breaker or fuse box to prevent electric shock.
- Avoid wading in flood water, which can contain dangerous debris. Underground or downed power lines can also electrically charge the water.
- Document any property damage with photographs. Contact your insurance company for assistance.