Replacing Lost or Missing Documents

Release Date:
October 7, 2020

After a disaster, official documents will be invaluable in rebuilding lives.  But in the wake of Oregon’s wildfires, the vital documents of your life – birth and marriage certificates, Social Security cards or medical records – may have been destroyed or lost in debris. Replacing them can be time-consuming and frustrating. 

The contacts listed below may speed up the process for Oregon residents who lost important papers due to the fires.

Federal documents

  • Green cards

Phone: 800-375-5283


  • Medicare cards

Phone: 800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778


  • Military records

Phone: 866-272-6272


  • Passport

Phone:  877-487-2778; (TTY) 888-874-7793


  • Social Security card

Phone:  800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778


  • U.S. Savings Bonds

Phone: 844-284-2676


  • U.S. tax returns

Phone: 800-829-1040



State documents

  • Birth, death, marriage, domestic partnership, divorce certificates

​​​​​​​Phone: 888-896-4988


  • Driver’s license, auto titles and registration, ID cards

​​​​​​​Phone: 503-945-5000


  • SNAP (Oregon Trail Card)


  • State taxes (Oregon Dept. of Revenue)

​​​​​​​Phone: 503-378-4988 or 800-356-4222

TTY: All relay calls are accepted.



Personal documents

  • Real estate and property

​​​​​​​Contact your county government.

  • Credit cards

​​​​​​​Contact your credit card company directly.

  • Credit reports from Equifax, Experian, TransUnion

​​​​​​​(During the COVID-19 pandemic, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion are offering free weekly online reports through April 2021.) Phone: 877-322-8228


  • Insurance documents

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Check with your insurance agent.​​​​

  • Medical records

​​​​​​​Call your doctor or your medical insurance company; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.



Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362)  711/VRS - Video Relay Service). Multilingual operators are available. (Press 2 for Spanish). TTY call 800-462-7585.

At any time applicants with disabilities who may require a reasonable accommodation can ask FEMA staff directly or submit their accommodation request via email to FEMA’s Office of Civil Rights at or by calling FEMA’s Civil Rights Resource line at (833) CVL-RGHT (833-285-7448).

Last updated March 17, 2021