Links to example Operations and Maintenance (O&M) plans for community safe rooms are provided below. These examples are provided as samples of what information an O&M plan may contain.
Safe rooms constructed with FEMA grant funds must meet the minimum requirements for O&M plans as described in the most current edition of FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Unified Guidance. The FEMA HMA Unified Guidance is updated periodically so refer to the most current edition. Refer to Chapter A4 of FEMA P-361 for additional information.
- Fair Grove Community Safe Room O&M Plan
- This multi-use safe room serves a middle school and an elementary school, and also houses a gymnasium. Surrounding residents are allowed to use the safe room whenever the National Weather Service issues a tornado watch. This O&M plan is specific for the two schools and is an example of the procedures for a school safe room that is available for community use.
- Joplin Schools Community Safe Room O&M Plan
- This school safe room O&M plan is another example of the procedures followed for a school safe room that doubles as a community safe room.
Publication resources for safe rooms:
- FEMA P-320. Fourth Edition, 2014. Taking Shelter from the Storm, Building a Safe Room for Your Home or Small Business. [Free]
- FEMA P-361. Third Edition, 2015. Safe Rooms for Tornadoes and Hurricanes: Guidance for Community and Residential Safe Rooms. [Free]
- ICC 500. 2014. ICC/NSSA Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters. [For purchase and download]
- Highlights of ICC 500-2014 [Free]
Webpage links for safe room information:
- FEMA P-361 History and Relevant FEMA Building Science Activities
- Legacy FEMA P-361 Case Study
- Wall Sections that Passed Previous Missile Impact Tests
- Door Assemblies and Components
- Previous Missile Impact Tests for Wood Sheathing
Questions? Click on the "Frequently Asked Questions" link to view FAQs about design and construction of safe rooms. If you need additional information about the design and construction of safe rooms, contact the Safe Room Helpline by emailing Saferoom@fema.dhs.gov or calling (866) 927-2104.