alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Español. Visit the Español page for resources in that language.

1997 North Dakota Floods - FEMA Assistance Summary

Release Date:
abril 19, 2022
  • FEMA provided nearly $211 million statewide under its Public Assistance program, which provides assistance to governmental entities and certain private nonprofit organizations to repair or replace damaged infrastructure. Federal funds covered 90 percent of approved costs for eligible projects. The remaining 10 percent was funded at a state and local level.
  • National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP): $75 million in claims paid (city of Grand Forks); $100 million in claims paid statewide. NFIP, managed by FEMA, is an insurance program that covers losses related to flooding.
  • FEMA’s Disaster Housing Assistance for Grand Forks County: $44.8 million for 21,846 applicants. This program provides assistance to individuals to pay for things such as minimal home repairs and temporary housing. Statewide, FEMA’s Disaster Housing Assistance totaled $54.5 million for 29,756 applicants.
  • $16.7 million in mission assignments. FEMA issues work orders for mission assignments following large disasters, paying other federal agencies to perform specific tasks associated with disaster response and recovery. Examples include agencies providing mass feeding, medical support and assistance conducting aerial damage assessments.
  • Approximately $13.7 million in federal dollars from the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program has been granted to the City of Grand Forks to help undertake a myriad of mitigation projects designed to make the city stronger and safer. Statewide assistance: Approximately $47 million.
  • Mitigation projects have included the acquisition and relocation of properties out of flood zones, protection measures for water treatment plants, installing culverts and other minor flood-control projects.
  • Individual and Family Grants Program: $10 million city of Grand Forks. FEMA and State assistance funded on a cost-share basis (75 percent federal and 25 percent state) to eligible individuals for serious, disaster-related needs not covered by insurance. Statewide Assistance: $14.1 million.
  • In addition, FEMA provided $9.8 million to supply travel trailers and manufactured homes for 787 applicants.
  • Crisis counseling: $3.7 million statewide. This program provides counseling services to disaster-impacted individuals through the state Department of Mental Health.
  • Disaster Unemployment Assistance: $5 million statewide. This program provides unemployment compensation for individuals not otherwise covered by unemployment benefits whose jobs were affected by the disaster.