Remanentes del huracán ida en New Jersey

New Jersey

Período del incidente: Sep 1, 2021 - Sep 3, 2021

Fecha de declaración: Sep 5, 2021

Now Closed: Period to Apply for Disaster Assistance

The initial registration period for this disaster has closed. For FEMA to consider your late application, you'll be notified to send a signed letter explaining why you were unable to apply during the application period, along with documents that clearly show why you wouldn't apply before the deadline.

Acceptable documents include:

  • Proof of hospitalization, illness, or disability affecting you or an immediate family member
  • Proof of death of an immediate family member
  • Proof of personal or business travel that kept you away from home for the full application period

I Was Told to Call the U.S. Small Business Administration

FEMA is not allowed to provide disaster assistance for certain losses covered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loans. The SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to individuals and households to help with disaster losses. FEMA works with the SBA to determine if you may qualify for Personal Property Assistance, Transportation Assistance, or a Group Flood Insurance Policy.

FEMA will automatically refer you to the SBA to be considered for a disaster loan if you meet SBA’s income standards. FEMA uses your household annual gross income and number of dependents to determine if you should be referred to the SBA.

If you are referred to the SBA, FEMA will contact you via an auto-dialer system to explain how to apply for a disaster loan. You must complete and return a loan application to be considered for an SBA loan or certain types of FEMA assistance. You do not have to accept an SBA loan offer. However, if you are approved for an SBA loan, and you do not accept it, you will not be referred back to FEMA for personal property or transportation assistance.

For more information about the SBA disaster loan program, please call the SBA at 800-659-2955 (TTY: 800-877-8339). SBA information is also available at or by email at

Learn more about SBA loans

I Applied for Assistance. What's Next?

If You Have Insurance

Please contact your insurance company as soon as possible to file a claim. FEMA can only provide money after you get your insurance settlement. If your insurance doesn’t cover all of your home repair or rebuilding expenses, FEMA may be able to help.

FEMA can’t provide money for expenses covered by insurance or duplicate benefits from another source. When you get your insurance settlement or denial, please send a copy to FEMA as soon as you can.

If your insurance settlement is delayed more than 30 days from the time you file your claim, call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

Learn more about the steps after applying

If You Do Not Have Insurance

FEMA will verify your disaster-caused losses. The agency will schedule a time to inspect your home if you reported damage to your home or personal property. Or FEMA will ask you to send documents to verify your expenses.

You will receive notification letters from FEMA either by mail or electronic correspondence explaining your next steps. If necessary based on the losses you reported, an inspector will contact you by phone to schedule an inspection. If you miss the call, they will leave a voicemail message and make multiple attempts to reach you. The inspector should not need to view repair receipts or pictures of the damage. But if you begin cleaning up before the inspection, FEMA suggests you take pictures, make a list of your losses, and keep receipts for all of your disaster-caused expenses.

Find a Housing Counselor

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides support to a nationwide network of housing counseling agencies (HCAs) and certified counselors. HUD-participating HCAs are approved and trained to provide tools to current and prospective homeowners and renters so they can make responsible choices to address their housing needs in light of their financial situations.

Verifying Home Ownership or Occupancy

FEMA is required to verify you lived at the address in your application as your primary residence before providing most types of assistance. FEMA is also required to verify you owned your home before providing home repair or home replacement assistance. Learn more about this process.

As part of our effort to make the disaster assistance process quicker and reduce the burden on applicants, we try to verify occupancy and ownership by using an automated public records search.

If we cannot verify you lived in or owned the home that you listed on your application, we will ask you to provide documents to prove occupancy and/or ownership to help us determine if you are approved for assistance.

How Do I Appeal the Decision?

If you receive a letter stating that you are not approved for assistance or that your application is incomplete, you can still complete the application or appeal the decision within 60 days of receiving a decision letter. The letter would either be mailed to you or placed into your Disaster Assistance Center account, if you have set up an account.

Learn more about appeals

Frequently Asked Questions and Rumors

Learn more about common disaster-related rumors and how to report fraud. You can also get answers to frequently asked questions about emergency shelters, disaster assistance, flood insurance and more.

Multilingual Resources

You can find social media graphics with important safety messaging in various languages, including English, Chinese, Spanish and Vietnamese.

We also have videos in American Sign Language (ASL) on topics including:

How to Help

Volunteer and Donate

Recovery can take many years after a disaster. There are many ways to help such as donating cash, needed items or your time. Learn more about how to help those in need.

Don’t self-deploy to disaster areas. Trusted organizations in the affected areas know where volunteers are needed. Work with an established organization to make sure you have the appropriate safety, training and skills needed to respond.

FEMA Voluntary Agency Liaisons (VALs) support the significant contributions of voluntary, faith-based, and community stakeholders active in disaster by building relationships – and coordinating efforts – with and across partner organizations and government agencies.

Doing Business with FEMA

If you are interested in providing paid services and goods for disaster relief, visit our Doing Business with FEMA page to get started.

If you own a business involved with debris removal and want to work on clean-up efforts in affected areas, please contact the local government in affected areas to offer your services.

Recursos locales

Noticias y medios de comunicación locales

Visite la página de Noticias y medios de comunicación para ver eventos, hojas de datos, comunicados de prensa y otros recursos multimedios.

Local Resources Custom Text

La asistencia de FEMA por el huracán Ida está cerrado

El período de solicitud para los propoetarios e inquilinos en los condados Bergen, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Passiac, Somerset, Union y Warren terminó el 5 de enero.

Cómo apelar una decisión de asistencia por desastre de FEMA

Si no está de acuerdo con una decisión de la FEMA sobre su elegibilidad para la asistencia por desastre, tiene derecho a presentar una apelación en un plazo de 60 días a partir de la fecha que tiene la FEMA en la carta de determinación.

Una apelación es una solicitud por escrito a FEMA para que revise de nuevo su expediente, y una oportunidad para proporcionar información nueva o adicional no presentada anteriormente que pueda afectar a la decisión. Puede apelar cualquier decisión de FEMA en relación con su solicitud de Asistencia Individual, como la decisión inicial de elegibilidad, la cantidad o el tipo de asistencia que se le ha proporcionado, las solicitudes tardías, las peticiones de devolución de dinero o la denegación de la  Asistencia Continua de Vivienda Provisional.

Asegúrese de proporcionar documentación de los daños que afectaron su espacio vital esencial o hicieron que su hogar fuera inhabitable. Eso incluye los presupuestos y recibos de las reparaciones de la casa, la información del seguro (liquidaciones/carta de denegación de la reclamación), las ofertas de los contratistas o las fotos. Y asegúrese de incluir cualquier información o documento que la FEMA solicite en la carta de decisión.

Tenga en cuenta que después de que FEMA reciba su carta, es posible que reciba una llamada telefónica o una carta de seguimiento solicitando más información.

Si tiene preguntas sobre la carta de determinación que recibió o sobre cómo presentar una apelación, puede ponerse en contacto con un agente de la Línea de Ayuda de FEMA en el 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA), o (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. También puede optar por solicitar a FEMA una copia de su expediente para que le ayude a entender por qué recibió la decisión que desea apelar.

Para obtener más información y asesoramiento sobre el proceso de apelación, consulte: Consejos para apelar una decisión de FEMA

La Agencia Federal de Pequeños Negocios de Estados Unidos (SBA, por sus siglas en inglés)

Es posible que usted recibirá una llamada de aviso sobre las maneras de solicitar asistencia de la Agencia Federal para el Desarrollo de la Pequeña Empresa (SBA, por sus siglas en inglés). Si se refiere su caso a SBA, se deberá completar y entregar la solicitud para un préstamo si desea ser considerado para un préstamo y también para ciertos tipos de asistencia de FEMA.

Solicitar un préstamo de SBA asegura que todas las opciones disponibles de asistencia por desastre permanezcan disponibles para usted. Si SBA determina que usted no podría pagar un préstamo, harán un referido para usted al programa de Ayuda Individual y Familiar de FEMA. Se revisará su expediente para determinar si usted reúne los requisitos para asistencia adicional en forma de subvenciones.

Los solicitantes pueden presentar su solicitud en línea utilizando el sitio web seguro de SBA en o llamar al Centro de Servicio al Cliente de SBA al 800-659-2955. Las personas sordas o con dificultades auditivas pueden llamar al 800-877-8339. Para obtener más información, envíe un correo electrónico a

Más información

Limpiar Después de un Desastre

Si tiene un problema de moho causado por el huracán Ida, llame a su compañía de seguros para presentar un reclamo. El moho puede presentar serios riesgos para la salud y debe eliminarse lo antes posible. Si vive en uno de los doce condados mencionados anteriormente puede ser elegible para una subvención única de limpieza y desinfección de $ 300 para ayudar con los costos de limpieza de Ida. Infórmese sobre esta subvención a medida que avanza en el proceso de solicitud de FEMA. Encuentre consejos sobre la eliminación del moho de los Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades en la Guía del propietario y arrendatario para la limpieza de moho (hongos) después de desastres | CDC.

Recursos Adicionales

La Línea de Ayuda para los Afectados por Catástrofes

Es normal sentirse triste, estresado o abrumado después de una gran catástrofe. Para los adultos y los niños que tengan sentimientos o pensamientos negativos, hay disponible asesoramiento gratuito para crisis a través de la línea de ayuda para situaciones de emergencia de la Administración de Servicios de Salud Mental y Abuso de Sustancias (SAMHSA).

La Línea de Ayuda para los Afectados por Catástrofes es la primera línea telefónica nacional dedicada a ofrecer asesoramiento en caso de crisis por catástrofe durante todo el año. Este servicio gratuito y multilingüe de apoyo en caso de crisis está disponible las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana, por teléfono (1-800-985-5990, oprima 2 para español) para los residentes en los Estados Unidos y sus territorios que estén experimentando una angustia emocional relacionada con catástrofes naturales o provocadas por el hombre.

Los Servicios Legales para Desastres

Los Servicios Legales para Desastres (DLS) pueden proporcionar ayuda legal gratuita a los sobrevivientes de desastres con bajos ingresos. Si usted no puede obtener servicios legales adecuados para sus necesidades relacionadas con el desastre, DLS puede ser capaz de ayudar.

DLS puede ayudar con lo siguiente:

  • Reclamaciones al seguro por facturas médicas, pérdida de bienes y pérdida de vidas.
  • Nuevos testamentos, poderes notariales y otros documentos legales perdidos durante el desastre
  • Contratos de reparación de viviendas y contratistas
  • Problemas con los propietarios
  • Pruebas de propiedad de la vivienda
  • Apelaciones de la FEMA

Los abogados de DLS no son empleados de FEMA. Sus servicios son confidenciales y no comparten información con FEMA. Obtenga más información: Servicios Legales de Nueva Jersey

Cómo ayudar

Trabaje como voluntario y done

La recuperación puede tomar muchos años después de un desastre. Hay muchas formas de ayudar, como donar dinero en efectivo, artículos necesarios o su tiempo. Obtenga más información sobre cómo ayudar a las personas que lo necesitan.

No llegues por cuenta propia a las zonas de desastre. Las organizaciones de confianza en las zonas afectadas saben dónde se necesitan voluntarios. Trabaje con una organización establecida para asegurarse de que dispone de la seguridad, adiestramientos y destrezas necesarias para responder.

Los funcionarios de FEMA de Enlace con Agencias Voluntarias (VALs, por sus siglas en inglés) desarrollan relaciones y coordinan esfuerzos con organizaciones voluntarias, con base de fe y comunitarias activas en desastres.

Cómo hacer negocios con FEMA

Si está interesado en proporcionar bienes y servicios remunerados para la ayuda por desastre, visite nuestra página sobre Cómo hacer negocios con FEMA para empezar.

Si tiene una empresa dedicada al recogido de escombros y desea colaborar en las labores de limpieza de las zonas afectadas, comuníquese con el gobierno local en las áreas afectadas para ofrecer sus servicios.

Obligaciones de financiamiento

Asistencia individual Cantidad
Total de asistencia para vivienda - Dólares Aprobados $229,851,117.88
Total para asistencia para otras necesidades - Dólares Aprobados $25,540,143.92
Total para el programa individual y de vivienda Dólares Aprobados $255,391,261.80
Solicitudes para asistencia individual Aprobado 45017
Asistencia Pública Cantidad
Emergency Work (Categories A-B) - Dollars Obligated $67,408,781.41
Permanent Work (Categories C-G) - Dollars Obligated $98,314,038.72
Total de Subvenciones de Asistencia Pública Dólares Obligados $178,118,766.66
Asistencia para Mitigación de Riesgos Cantidad
Programa de Subvenciones para la Mitigación de Riesgos (HMGP) – Dólares aprobados $4,234,670.64
Última actualización 25 de mayo de 2023