Workplace Transformation News
Workplace Transformation Detail Opportunity - currently seeking an individual at the GS-14 level for a detail (NTE 120 days) to temporarily fill the position of Executive Officer for the Workplace Transformation Team.
Memo from DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano - Launch of Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey
Editorial from the Deputy Administrator: "There were many nights I went home proud of the men and women of Boston EMS, but I was never more proud of them and the residents of my town, than I was last week." - FEMA's Deputy Administrator, Rich Serino, offers his perspective on the community-wide effort to respond to last week's tragic bombings at the Boston Marathon. Medical response to Marathon bombings was a community-wide effort – The Boston Globe.
From the Field
FEMA Corps Members at Red Cross Pep Rally - FEMA Corps members participate in an emergency preparedness flash mob dance led by former 49ers receiver Jerry Rice and Olympic gold medalist Kristi Yamaguchi during the Make Your Game Plan Prep Rally hosted by the American Red Cross and the Pacific Gas and Electric Company at the California Academy of Sciences. At the event Federal Emergency Management Agency Region IX Administrator Nancy Ward presented the Red Cross Bay Area Chapter with an award for community disaster preparedness efforts.
Employee News and Announcements
- Presidential Proclamation - National Building Safety Month 2013
2013 Building Safety Month: Code Officials Keep You Safe - Building Safety Month is a public awareness campaign held each year in May. Founded by the International Code Council, 2013 marks the 33rd annual BSM.
Kids Day at DHS Headquarters - America’s future employees and leaders learn about the different components within DHS, including FEMA.
New Disaster Assistance Center (DAC) system - Process Design and Innovation (PDI) developed the Disaster Assistance Center (DAC) system, which allows applicants to create an account and view their FEMA status online.
Penn. Commonwealth Healthcare Systems Better Prepared for Mass Casualty Response - More than 140 Pennsylvanians representing emergency managers, physicians, nurses, public health officials, and emergency medical services attend training at CDP.
Mount Weather Fire Department Provides Timely Firefighting Assistance – Mt. Weather Fire and Rescue Truck 21 acted quickly, arriving first to the scene of a house fire.
·National Emergency Training Center Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day - approximately 28 children of the NETC staff, ranging from 3 to 17 years of age, were treated to a day of activities.
Sharing the Message of Preparedness - A North Texas Congressman teamed up last month with FEMA Region 6 and other emergency managers to share the message of preparedness.
Apply for the 2013 Individual and Community Preparedness Awards today - The ICP Awards application period is open through June 5. All submissions must feature achievements taking place between January 1, 2012 and June 5, 2013.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
Performance Management – Recordkeeping - All 2012 performance appraisals and 2013 performance management reports for Title V employees are due to Human Capital by May 15, 2013. If you have not recently provided your direct report’s 2012 performance appraisal documents or 2013 performance plan status, then please contact your program office’s Performance Management Point of Contact.
Have you completed your FEMA Individual Development Plan this year? - What are individual development plans and what’s the benefit of completing one?
- NEW OPPORTUNITY! U.S. Army War College, Senior Leader Seminar HS Developmental Opportunity - DHS has been invited to send a representative to the winter “US Army’s Senior Leader Seminar”.
- NEW! Course: L337 - Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS)
- FEMA Headquarters will host first Speed Mentoring event - The FEMA Leader Development Program will host its first Speed Mentoring event for Headquarters on Thursday, April 25, 9-11 a.m.
- Leadership Essentials – New Dates in Regions and Headquarters added so that the 9/30/13 deadline can be met!
- Intelligence Community Developmental Programs - The DHS Intelligence Enterprise Professional Development Team is pleased to inform the workforce about three courses sponsored and delivered by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, through its Intelligence Learning Network.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- NEW! TSA Travel Tips Tuesday – Can You Fly Without an ID?
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.