In case you missed it. FEMA Weekly March 21, 2013
VIDEO: "FEMA Women Impacting FEMA History”. On Monday, March 25, 2013 a Speaker's Forum, "FEMA Women Impacting FEMA History” was held at FEMA HQ with Beth Zimmerman, Associate Administrator for Response & Recovery moderating and featured speakers Acting Nancy Ward, Regional Administrator, Region IX; Pauline Campbell, Director, FEMA Office of Equal Rights; and Lillian Virgil, Mitigation Branch Chief, Emergency Management Institute sharing their experiences.
In recognition of the DHS ten year anniversary, Administrator Fugate recently sat down with FEMA colleagues to discuss some of the recent milestones at FEMA and the agency’s priorities moving forward. Some of the questions discussed and the Administrator’s responses have been posted onto the DHS blog as a two part series. Part 1 of the two-part series. Part 2 of the two-part series.
New Name for Community Relations - Disaster Survivor Assistance - The new name reflects our commitment to the survivor, and the capacity of the cadre to address and resolve immediate needs.
What do the Workplace Transformation and Tangram Puzzle have in common?
The Future of FEMA’s Modernized Business Practices ; message from Tonya Schreiber.
From the Field
- New York local hire featured in The Korea Times - Louis Yu, a local hire assisting with Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts in New York, was recently featured in The Korea Times.
- Colorado group protecting culture during disasters - The Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado, killed two people, burned 347 homes, and destroyed subdivisions last summer.
Employee News and Announcements
Join us! The first of a series of Workplace Transformation Brown Bag discussions will be held on April 3, 2013 from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Topic: Telework Successes. Panshella Cole, Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer.
- Building Science’s John Ingargiola honored with Distinguished Service Award - John Ingargiola, senior engineer and team leader with the Building Science Branch, Risk Reduction Division, received the Distinguished Service Award.
- EAGLE HORIZON 2013 – Are You Ready? - The Federal Emergency Management Agency will participate in Eagle Horizon 2013, April 18. EH 2013 will be a one day, internally evaluated exercise consisting of tabletop exercises testing the readiness and capabilities to execute continuity operations and prepare for EH 2014.
- Minnesota cities plan for response - More than 20 leaders representing fire departments, police departments, public works, and even administrators and mayors attended training at the Center for Domestic Preparedness, in Anniston, Ala.
- Is Roth Right for Me? In 2012, The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) introduced a Roth feature, allowing participants the flexibility to contribute after-tax dollars to their retirement plan.
- Testimony of Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs hearing entitled “Hurricane Sandy: Getting the Recovery Right and the Value of Mitigation”.
- You can stay current with ongoing Workplace Transformation events by bookmarking the calendar events!
FEMA Blog Stories and Photos
- FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate congratulates Tony Robinson after formally swearing him in as Regional Administrator of FEMA Region VI.
- What We're Watching: 3/22/13 Author: Lars Anderson
DHS Rotational Opportunities:
- Office of the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. The CISOMB is seeking individuals interested in a rotational assignment as a Program Assistant. Program Assistant’s will assist supervisors with identifying CISOMB database problems and reports problems for resolution. Works with the staff and management to identify and assist with correcting administrative and technical issues concerning office policies and procedures. To apply for DHS rotational opportunities visit DHSConnect.dhs.gov. Employees should review the announcement very carefully for specific instructions on eligibility and how to apply.
Training and Career Development Opportunities
- Intelligence Community Developmental Programs - The DHS Intelligence Enterprise Professional Development Team is pleased to inform the workforce about three courses sponsored and delivered by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, through its Intelligence Learning Network.
- Fundamentals of Leadership application timeline extended - The Fundamentals of Leadership offers new supervisors the chance to learn more about their role within the agency and to develop proficiency in leadership competencies. The program is a requirement of all permanent fulltime and CORE supervisors hired after Oct. 1, 2011.
- The Office of Personnel Management is sponsoring two free 1-day leadership training seminars for National Security Professionals and Senior Executive Service members.
- Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations Workshops in the National Capital Region - The Office of the Chief Component Human Capital Officer is offering joint workshops on Writing Individual Performance Goals and Employee Relations at headquarters
- All-Hazards Position Specific Train-the-Trainer Program - The primary goal of the National Incident Management System Incident Command System All-Hazards Position Specific Training Program is to provide additional training that may be needed by personnel responsible for managing incidents of greater complexity than those typically encountered during routine operations.
- E910 – Integrated Emergency Management Course, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response Course Dates: July 22-25 -The E910 IEMC, Earthquake: Preparedness and Response, addresses preparedness and response in emergency situations based on an earthquake. The participants in the "generic" audience represent various communities from throughout the country.
Deployment Tools and Resources
- How To Prepare a Travel Voucher – For the Individual Traveler
- FEMA Travel Toolbox - The Travel Toolbox is intended to support FEMA travelers (FEMA Intranet)
- Travel Voucher Checklist - Reference Guide for Travelers and Approvers (FEMA Intranet)
- Deployment Guidance – ADD Check-In/Check-Out Procedures
- Time and Attendance Guidance for Hurricane Sandy
- Hurricane Sandy Lessons Learned Resources Available at LLIS.gov
- Reservist Program Federal Employees Health Benefits Program Health Care Coverage - Frequently Asked Questions
Help FEMA Prevent Fraud, Waste and Abuse. If you have information about instances of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving FEMA programs or operations, you should contact the DHS OIG Hotline at: 1-800-323-8603; by fax at 202-254-4297.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are aware of a FEMA employee that is not receiving these All Hands Messages, please have them contact the Enterprise Service Desk at 1-888-457-3362, or email Enterprise-Service-Desk and request to be added to the All Hands distribution lists. You must be a FEMA employee to be added to this list.
Employee News Online is a news site that highlights the work of FEMA employees and issues related to the FEMA mission. It is produced by the Office of External Affairs, Public Affairs Division at 500 C Street, Washington.
You may submit your articles and announcements to FEMA-Weekly for inclusion to Employee News Online, FEMA Weekly Bulletin. Please allow 24-48 hours for your article or announcement to be posted. Please submit story ideas to FEMA-Weekly by COB Tuesday.