2012 Annual Open Season Election (Benefits)
The Upcoming Federal Benefits Open Season will run from Monday, November 12 through Monday, December 10, 2012. Open season is your opportunity to elect, review, change or terminate your participation in the following programs:
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP),
- Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)
- Federal Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAFEDS).
Enrollees who wish to continue their current FEHB/FEDVIP enrollments do not need to take action during this open season as long as their insurance carriers have not dropped out of FEHB/ FEDVIP or dropped their enrollment code. Please take a few minutes to review the current list of providers by visiting http://www.opm.gov/insure/openseason/index.asp for significant plan changes under the FEHB and FEDVIP programs.
Those desiring to make enrollment changes are encouraged to do so as early as possible during open season to ensure timely processing. However, if your current plan will terminate their participation in the FEHB Program after January 12, 2013 or if your plan will no longer offer the enrollment option you previously selected, you MUST enroll in a different plan to continue FEHB coverage in 2013.
FEMA employees may view FEHB guides, plan brochures, open season information and plan comparison tools at the OPM website www.opm.gov/insure.
All FEHB changes during this Open Season must be made using the National Finance Center Employee Personal Page (EPP) at https://www.nfc.usda.gov/personal/index.aspx (user id and password required).
Enrollments in the flexible spending accounts (FSA) do not carry over from year to year. To continue into 2013 you must reenroll. The maximum annual election for a Health Care FSA will change from $5,000 to $2,500 for the 2013 benefit period. The Dependent Care FSA will remain $5,000 for the 2013 benefit period.
If you have any questions about Federal Benefits Open Season, upcoming Fairs and your participation, contact your local HR personnel representative.
NOTE: Please do not reply to this message. Questions should be forwarded to: OCCHCO Retirement and Benefits by email at email@example.com.
How to Make an Open Season Election and Effective Dates
- FEHB - Elections must be received using the National Finance Center Employee Personal Page (EPP) at https://www.nfc.usda.gov/personal/index.aspx (user id and password required)
- Note – You must be covered by the FEHB program for the 5 years of service before retiring to continue FEHB into retirement.
- FSAFEDS – Employees must enroll via www.fsafeds.com for new enrollments or changes. Enrollments do not carry over from year to year.
- FEDVIP – Employees must enroll via www.benefeds.com for changes, new enrollments, or cancellations.
Deadline for enrollment is 12 midnight Eastern Standard Time, December 10, 2012. If you miss this deadline, you will not be permitted to make changes until the next annual Open Season is announced.Effective Dates:
New enrollments and changes to current enrollments elected during this Open Season will be effective as of the following;
- FEHBP – effective January 13, 2013 (current elections will continue automatically)
- FSAFEDS – effective January 1, 2013 (must re-enroll to continue benefits)
- FEDVIP – effective January 1, 2013 (current elections will continue automatically)