Local, state, tribal and territorial jurisdictions are required to adopt NIMS in order to receive federal Preparedness Grants. We've defined implementation objectives to guide jurisdictions in their implementation of NIMS.
Send us an email for additional information on NIMS implementation and accessing the Unified Reporting Tool.
NIMS implementation is assessed through the direct reporting of data to FEMA utilizing the Unified Reporting Tool.
Local, State, Tribal and Territorial
NG 0004: National Incident Management System (NIMS) Communications and Information Management Standards
This NIMS Guide provides a brief overview of five recommended standards that support NIMS implementation.
This NIMS Guide provides a brief overview of two recommended standards that support NIMS implementation.
National Incident Management System Training Program
The National Incident Management System (NIMS) Training Program helps to mitigate risk by achieving greater preparedness. The training program facilitates training and qualification of emergency management personnel to NIMS concepts and principles.
The NIMS Training Program identifies a deliberate method to develop and maintain a complete NIMS core curriculum and, concurrently, to provide training guidance to stakeholders for developing their training plans.
NIMS Training Courses
The Emergency Management Institute (EMI), located at the National Emergency Training Center in Emmitsburg, MD, offers a broad range of NIMS-related training.
NIMS-related courses offered online by EMI include:
- IS-100.b - (ICS 100) Introduction to Incident Command System
- IS-200.b (ICS 200) ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS), An Introduction
- IS-702.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) Public Information Systems
- IS-703.a NIMS Resource Management Course
- IS-706 NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid - An Introduction
- IS-800.b National Response Framework, An Introduction
Find Courses at the Emergency Management Institute
Inquiries regarding certificates or EMI online courses should be emailed to EMI's Independent Study Office or call (301) 447-1200.