Climate change is an urgent issue we face together. On this page, learn how we are addressing climate change and find resources for emergency managers.
The FEMA Resources for Climate Resilience assists FEMA’s state, local, tribal, and territorial (SLTT) partners in navigating the FEMA resources that are available to support communities in adapting to the impacts of climate change and build resilience.
The document offers a description of available FEMA resources communities can use to plan for, respond to, recover from, and mitigate against the adverse impacts of climate change.
The impacts of climate change are being felt today in communities across the country and increasingly test our resilience. Exercises provide a method for participants to visualize a future that is outside their direct experience and evaluate options for constructive action to adapt to climate changes already occurring and those to come. The Long-Term Community Resilience Exercise Resource Guide is a “one-stop–shop" for any jurisdiction or organization looking to conduct a climate-focused exercise.
Emergency Management in a Changing Climate
The challenges posed by climate change, such as more intense storms, frequent heavy precipitation, heat waves, drought, extreme flooding and higher sea levels could significantly alter the types and magnitudes of hazards faced by communities and the emergency management professionals serving them. Emergency managers should adapt to the impacts of climate change.
Tools and Data
- NFIP’s Community Rating System (CRS) Guidance
- Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- National Risk Index for Natural Hazards
- Integrating Sustainability into Recovery
- Integrating Mitigation into Recovery
- US Global Change Research Program
- EPA Stormwater Calculator
- US Climate Resilience Toolkit
- NASA Climate Resources
- DOE Climate Change Science and Innovation
- HHS Sustainability
- Climate Data at data.gov
Knowledge and Capacity
- National Climate Assessment 2018
- National Mitigation Investment Strategy
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance
- Building Science
- Risk Mapping, Assessment and Planning
- Technical Mapping Advisory Council
- Federal Flood Risk Management Standard
- Coastal Flood Risks
- Planning for Future Conditions
- Planificación para condiciones futuras
- Building Community Resilience with Nature-based Solutions
- Environmental and Historic Preservation
- Climate Change Research (EPA)
- Climate Change Adaptation Resource Center - ARC-X (EPA)