Survivors Still Returning Home One Year after Start of Mobile Housing Mission
At the state’s request, FEMA provided Manufactured Housing Units—MHUs—as a last resort to some survivors who were unable to find temporary housing. The first household moved in more than a year ago and MHUs remain a temporary housing resource for some survivors working to return home.
- About 1,800 households have recovered and returned to a repaired home or found other suitable permanent housing. This number increases daily.
- The first move out occurred Oct. 5, 2016
- To date, about 31 households have moved out every week to return home.
- Nearly 70 percent of current MHU occupants are on track to be back home before February 2018.
- About 75 percent of MHU occupants are making repairs to their damaged home.
- The remaining amount have chosen other options such as moving into a new home or replacing their damaged residence.
Current MHU Statistics
- At the peak, approximately 4,300 households had to call an MHU “home.”
- More than 2,700 households remain in MHUs.
This amount includes:
- Ascension Parish: about 300
- East Baton Rouge Parish: more than 1,500
- Livingston Parish: more than 900
- More than 2,400 MHUs are on a survivor’s property.
- More than 400 MHUs are in a commercial mobile home park.
- More than 20 MHUs are on sites FEMA prepared specifically for units
- Overall, approximately 4,500 households across 17 parishes received MHUs.
- FEMA customized MHU installations for each household. Measures included outfitting units for those with access and functional needs, transporting units, connecting utilities and securing units to maximize safety.
- Serving a population of about 12,000 survivors, FEMA hauled and installed enough MHUs to create the equivalent of a small city.
- The first household moved into an MHU on Aug. 24, 2016—less than two weeks after the presidential disaster declaration.
- The final move in occurred April 14, 2017.
- More than 60 percent of move ins occurred before 2017.
- At its peak from October 2016 through January 2017, about 220 MHUs were readied and occupied each week.