Main Content

Fact Sheet: Replacing Lost Documents

Replacing a lost credit card can be easily handled.  But, losing every document – birth and marriage certificates, property deeds, military records, and the like – can be a challenge after a disaster. However, West Virginia residents who lost important papers due to the severe storms, floods, mud- and landslides in June can use the following contacts to replace important documentation.

Free disaster legal assistance is also available for West Virginia flood survivors. Call the toll-free hotline (877) 331-4259. Callers can receive counseling on insurance claims, landlord-tenant issues, home-repair contracts, the replacement of legal documents destroyed by the storm and other legal matters.

Federal documents

Green cards:               Phone:  800-375-5283


Medicare cards:          Phone: 800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778


Military records:        Phone: 866-272-6272

                                    Website: //

Passport:                     Phone:1-877-487-2778; 888-874-7793 (TTY)


Social Security card:  Phone: 800-772-1213; (TTY) 800-325-0778


U.S. Savings Bonds:   Phone: 1-844-284-2676


U.S. tax returns:         Phone: 800-829-1040

                                    Website: //

State documents

Birth/death/marriage/ Phone: 877-448-3953

divorce certificates:   Website: //


Consumer protection: Phone: 800-368-8808 or (304) 558-8986




Driver’s license/         1-800-642-9066 or (TTY) 1-800-742-6991

ID cards/proof of        Website: 



Real estate and    

property records:        See your county government.


SNAP:                         Phone: 1-866-545-6502



State tax:                     Phone: 800-982-8297 or 304-558-3333



Vehicle titles,             Phone: 1-800-642-9066

registration:                Website:


Personal documents

Credit cards:               Contact your credit card company.

Credit reports:            Equifax, Experian, TransUnion

                                    Phone: 877-322-8228


Insurance                    Phone: Check with your own insurance agentdocuments:                

                                    Website: //

Medical records:        Call your own doctor; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.

National Archives:     Website:  //  Techniques for saving documents

July 9, 2016

DR-4273-WV FS-11

Last Updated: 
07/08/2017 - 10:22