U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Louisiana (DR-4611) Frequently Asked Questions and Rumor Control

We continue to work with federal, state, local, tribal and community partners to support the ongoing response for Ida. As clean up efforts begin across several states, this page offers answers to rumors and frequently asked questions about Louisiana (DR-4611).

Rumors and Scams

Do your part to the stop the spread of rumors by doing three easy things:

  1. Find trusted sources of information.
  2. Share information from trusted sources.
  3. Discourage others from sharing information from unverified sources.

We will share information about current rumors or scams related to Louisiana Hurricane Ida relief on this page.

Get more information on rumors and scams from our partners.


Do not trust anyone who offers financial help and then asks for money or personal information.

  • FEMA will never ask you to share personal information or apply for assistance through text message.
  • DHS, FEMA, HHS and CDC staff never charge for disaster assistance.
  • Federal and local disaster workers do not solicit or accept money.
  • Beware of visits, calls or emails from people claiming to be from FEMA asking for your Social Security number, bank account or other sensitive information. Giving out this type of information can lead to identify theft.

Learn how to report disaster fraud.

Rumors and Frequently Asked Questions

Use the dropdown menu to filter by the type of question, or type in a keyword.

Survivors in one of the parishes designated for Individual Assistance can apply with FEMA for assistance by using the FEMA app, online at www.disasterassistance.gov or by telephone at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-758.  Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel should provide FEMA their specific number assigned to that service. .

  • You can apply or update your information online at DisasterAssistance.gov, by calling 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) or through the FEMA mobile app.
  • If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service.

If you relocated or were evacuated before Hurricane Ida and don’t know if your home was damaged, tell FEMA your current situation and the best ways to contact you.

  • If you returned home and discovered property damage, update your damage report with FEMA.
  • Property damage will be evaluated by a FEMA inspector.
  • If you cannot be present at your home during an inspection, you can authorize someone else to meet the inspector on your behalf through a third-party written consent form.

No. Grants are not loans, and don’t have to be repaid. They are not taxable income and won’t affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) is a FEMA program and must be requested by a state. It allows for temporary, short-term accommodations for eligible survivors when other housing options are not available after a presidentially declared disaster.

A survivor must first apply with FEMA. They must also:

Pass identity verification

  • Their pre-disaster primary residence must be in a designated Parish for TSA
  • Have verified occupancy
  • Be displaced from and unable to live in their pre-disaster residence.

Yes, renters may apply for disaster assistance with FEMA. If you have renter’s insurance, you should call your insurance provider to file a claim. If you are insured, you must provide information from your insurance which may include a declaration page and a settlement or denial.

Yes. TSA-eligible applicants must find and book their own hotel rooms. The list of participating hotels will be posted on DisasterAssistance.gov, under the link Transitional Sheltering Assistance Program or you can get it by calling the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362. For TTY, call 800-462-7585. For 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

Applicants with disabilities or who have access and functional needs should check with hotels to ensure appropriate accommodations are available before confirming a reservation. Pet owners must check to see if pets are accepted. Applicants must show photo identification and adhere to any hotel check-in requirements.

Awards may be available to rent or pay for a different place to live for a limited time while repairs are made to your rental home or until it is livable. Rental grants may be used for security deposits, rent and the cost of essential utilities, such as gas and water. The grants may not be used to pay for separate cable or internet bills.

Last updated September 9, 2021