Main Content

Updates and Articles, Blogs, and News Releases

2016-02-02 15:26 - Blog Entry

Saturday, September 12, 2015, started out as a normal day for Jose Simon III, Chairman of the Middletown Rancheria of Pomo Indians of California Tribal Council, and then it got a little interesting for Jose: I had a General Council meeting in the afternoon and was thinking about going to a football game later on. My plans changed after the council meeting, when I walked outside and saw a wildfire burning in the distance.

2016-01-19 18:14 - Blog Entry

Sometimes, when we think about historic preservation, we think of places like New Orleans with its grand houses and graceful gardens, or maybe we picture the rolling hills of Gettysburg. But, long before Europeans arrived in Louisiana or the decisive battle of the Civil War, the Lake Miwok Indians were raising their families, practicing their religion and burying their dead in villages throughout Northern California.

2016-01-15 23:29 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – In response to the unmet needs of survivors following the Valley Fire, a long term recovery committee (LTRC) has been established. This committee, Team Lake County (TLC), has requested the expertise of a national disaster recovery group to determine who in the community will need additional assistance from voluntary agencies to rebuild and recover from the fire.

2016-01-08 19:24 - Updates

“When it looks like it’s snowing and it’s 90 degrees outside, that’s not a good thing,” recalled Darren Borgedalen of Mountain Ranch, a community in rural Calaveras County, Calif. The “snow” Borgedalen was referring to actually was ash from the Butte Fire that swept his property in September, 2015. It burned through more than 70,000 acres, mostly in Calaveras County, damaging or destroying more than 1,000 homes.

2016-01-08 19:23 - Updates

Late Saturday afternoon, Sept. 12, 2015, Ron Stefkovitch heard the fire department in the neighborhood making the mandatory call for evacuation. Ron grabbed his cat and left his Middletown, Calif. home. The Valley Wildfire, whipped by 30 mile-per-hour winds, had quickly spread and was threatening homes in this Lake County development. When the fire jumped State Hwy. 29 and moved into the houses in his neighborhood, the extra money and time he had spent on a concrete tile roof, cement stucco exterior and fire-resistant landscaping were put to the ultimate test.

2015-12-31 19:38 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Calaveras County will receive a grant of approximately $2.8 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) for a water pretreatment facility located at the Jenny Lind Water Treatment Plant, near the town of Jenny Lind.

2015-12-30 21:34 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) continue working together to help survivors of the Butte and Valley wildfires. More and more survivors continue to find temporary housing accommodation; as they do, they should continue to stay in touch with FEMA.

2015-12-18 00:02 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Lake County has been approved to receive $883,110 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for a culvert project that will reduce localized flooding and debris flow at selected sites burned by the Valley wildfire, which began Sept. 12, 2015.FEMA covers 75 percent of the eligible costs with the county paying the remaining 25 percent, for a projected total cost of $1.1 million.

2015-12-17 18:06 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES), the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) have approved more than $30 million in disaster recovery grants and loans for survivors of the Butte and Valley wildfires.

2015-12-17 00:06 - News Release

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After five years of drought, many owners of homes and second homes in California may shrug off the suggestion of buying flood insurance. El Niño and the recent wildfires may change the minds of many.In California, El Niño means extremely heavy rainfall that could lead to devastating flooding, especially in areas affected by prolonged drought and recent wildfires.