This section covers Section 3 - Part 5 of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) application tutorial. The tutorial is intended for fire departments and eligible organizations who are interested in AFG application assistance tools.
*Please note that this tutorial was produced for the FY 2011 AFG open application period. Applicants should always refer to the latest Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) when applying.*
The Budget screen consolidates all of the financial information you already entered in the Request Details section. To edit any of this information, you will need to return to the Request Details section.
You will need to provide additional information under Non-Federal Resources, which are other funding sources besides the Federal Government. After you include this information, you will be able to proceed with your application.
This year, you will notice that narrative statements have been incorporated throughout the application.
In the Request Details section, you should have entered individual narratives for all of your funding activity requests. The narratives you should have provided include Project Description, Cost-Benefit, Statement of Effect, and Additional Information (if applicable).
Please return to the Request Details section to ensure that your individual narratives are present and complete, and then continue on to the next section of the application.
Assurances and Certifications
Assurances and Certifications are a normal part of any Federal grant program. You will need to review and complete the applicable forms and submit them electronically as part of your application.
How to Submit Forms Electronically
There are two forms you will need to review, sign, and submit:
- Part I: Form SF-424B, Assurances Non-Construction Programs
- Part II: Form 20-16C, Certifications Regarding Lobbying; Debarment, Suspension and Other Responsibilities Matters; and Drug-Free Workplace Requirements
To submit a form:
- Click the “Incomplete” link in the Status box next to the form.
- After reading the form, enter your application password in the text box at the bottom of the screen, and check the signature box.
- Click “Save and Continue.”
You will need to submit each form one at a time. Repeat the same process for each form.
How to Submit Forms Electronically
You only need to fill out the third form, SF-LLL, Disclosure of Lobbying Activities, if your application request exceeds $100,000 AND your organization conducts lobbying activities.
If this is not applicable to you, check the “Not Applicable” box. If it is applicable to you, go ahead and submit this form.
After completing all applicable forms, click “Save and Continue” to move on to another section of the application.
How to Review and Edit Your Application
You will have an opportunity to review and edit your application before making a final submission.
- On the Review Application screen, the name of your organization or department, contact information, and bank account information is automatically shown.
- Use the drop-down menu in the top or bottom right-hand portions of the screen to select other sections to review. Click the “Go” button to jump to that section.
- You can edit your application, section by section, by clicking the “edit this application” link in the directions at the top of the screen.
Here are some tips on reviewing your application:
- Have several people review the application from start to finish to ensure the information is complete and correct.
- You may print your application by clicking the “Print Application” link in the main menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- You will not be able to make any changes to your application after you submit it, so use the review period to make your application the best it can be.
How to Submit Your Application
On the Submit Application screen, all sections of the application should be marked as complete.
- Remember, once you submit your application, you cannot change any of the information entered.
- Once you are satisfied your application is complete and correct, enter your password again and click the checkbox, which will act as your electronic signature.
- The final step is to click “Submit Application.”
- A confirmation and application number will appear on screen.
- Print this screen and keep a record of your application number.
Checking the Status of Your Application
- After submitting your application, you may check the status of your application by checking your application status for messages from the AFG Program Office.
- You will be notified through the online Mail Center if your application has been selected to receive an award.
- To access the Mail Center, go to the AFG application Website: https://portal.fema.gov/famsVuWeb/home. You can also access the e-grant at the AFG Program Website: /firegrants.
- Log in by entering the user ID and password you created or used when starting your application.
- Click the “Mail Center” link at the top right navigation menu.
- Check for new messages from the Program Office.
This concludes Section III: e-Grant Application. The following section, Section 4, covers tips for submitting your application.