On January 29, 2013, President Obama signed the Sandy Recovery Improvement Act of 2013, which amended the Stafford Act. The Act included a provision to provide federally recognized Indian tribal governments the option to request a Presidential emergency or major disaster declaration independent of a state. Tribal governments may still choose to seek assistance, as they have historically, under a state declaration request.
Disaster Declaration Resources
- Overview: Process for Tribal Governments to Request a Presidential Declaration
- Frequently Asked Questions: Process for Tribal Governments to Request a Presidential Declaration
- Request for Presidential Disaster Declaration Form/Cover Letter
- Declared Disasters
- Developing and Maintaining Emergency Operations Plans
Technical assistance is available by contacting your Regional Tribal Liaison.
Public Assistance Resources
- Public Assistance Program
- Public Assistance Administrative Plan Template
This document is a sample format that tribes can use as guidance to develop their own Administrative Plan for Public Assistance.
Individual Assistance Resources
- Individual Assistance Program
- Individuals and Households Program - Other Needs Assistance Administrative Option Selection Form
This form is the mechanism that allows the tribal government to identify how it would like to deliver section 408 of the Stafford Act.