Having a safe room in your home can protect your family and save the lives of those you care about.
Find answers to your Questions about Building a Safe Room, including:
- What is the cost of installing a safe room?
- Can I install a safe room in an existing home?
- Can I build the safe room myself?
- Where is the best location for the safe room?
- Where can I find plans for safe room construction?
- And more....
Building a Safe Room in Your House
For more details about how you can build a safe room in your home, go to the FEMA P- 320, Taking Shelter From the Storm: Building a Safe Room For Your Home or Small Business page before downloading it from the FEMA Library.
Residential Funding Opportunities
Grants, funding opportunities and various initiatives are available for individuals wishing to build a residential safe room. See the resources below for additional information:
Examples and Case Studies
Learn how others have benefited from safe rooms. See the following resources on the Best Practices Case Study web page.