Safe Room and Community Shelters Funding and Initiatives

Main Content

Federal funding programs that provide funds for safe room construction include U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loans, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Block Grant funds, Federal Housing Administration (FHA) mortgage insured financing, and the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP). For more information, see the paragraphs and links shown below under “Funding.”

Many states have developed initiatives for the construction of residential, public, and private safe rooms, including safe rooms in hospitals, emergency operations centers, first-responder facilities, schools, day care centers, manufactured home parks, private residences, community centers, senior centers, and campgrounds. Some safe room projects carried out under state initiatives are documented in case studies prepared by FEMA and available on the FEMA website. For more information, including descriptions and details about safe room sizes, capacities, and funding mechanisms, and links to case studies, follow the links shown below under “Initiatives.”

Last Updated: 
07/24/2014 - 16:00
Back to Top