This page contains information about the System for Awards Management (SAM) account registration. Sam.gov registration is required for all AFG program applicants. The intended audiences are AFG stakeholders, which include but are not limited to award recipients and the communities they serve.
System for Award Management (SAM) Registration is Required to Apply or Receive a Grant Award
- Applicants that have not completed the SAM registration process, or have not completed the required annual renewal and revalidation of data, will not be able to draw grant funds, or submit grant amendment requests. Every eligible grantee must have their SAM.gov account validated through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and have their CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) code validated. These validations are conducted as part of the registration process after the organization has submitted their SAM.gov registration.
- Complete the SAM registration as soon as possible. For questions about SAM, contact your State Assigned Grants Management Specialists or visit our SAM resource page.
- SAM.gov is administered through the Government Services Administration (GSA). Technical assistance may be obtained through the Federal Service Desk at 866-606-8220.
Your DUNS Information Must Be Correct: When you create a new SAM account you must use the same e-mail address and DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) number that you entered when you registered previously in the CCR. It is critical that you enter the correct DUNS number in your SAM.gov account. If the DUNS number does not match the number and mailing address on record for the grantee on the Dun and Bradstreet website, you will not be able to complete your registration. If your organization has a single DUNS number that is being used by several local “departments,” such as Police, Fire, Parks and Recreation, etc., all the federal grant data, including your AFG award data, will go into that one main SAM.gov account. If you prefer that the grant funding data go into a separate SAM.gov account for your fire department, you will need to use your own DUNS number. If you do not have a DUNS number, or if you need to update the DUNS information, contact Dun and Bradstreet directly at http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform. The D&B help desk number is 1-866-705-5711.
Is Your SAM Profile Marked PRIVATE? If so, we will not be able to verify your ACTIVE SAM registration. We recommend that you mark your profile PUBLIC. However, if you choose not to mark it PUBLIC, a Grants Management Specialist will contact you to request a copy of your ACTIVE SAM registration. Note that the SAM User Guide states, “…your banking information is treated as sensitive data and will not be displayed to the public regardless of your selection.”
If You Have Technical Problems, Try Changing Your Web Browser and Browser Settings. Your success in navigating through SAM may vary depending on the browser and platform used, e.g., Internet Explorer vs. Firefox, computer vs. tablet, etc. The SAM.gov website says that any of the following web browsers will offer the most effective use of SAM (see Browser Settings for Optimal Use of the System for Award Management):
- Firefox v3+ (free download available from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/)
- Internet Explorer v7+ (To check your version number, select “Help” from the main toolbar in the IE browser window. In the drop-down menu, click “About Internet Explorer.” A window will pop up showing the browser version number. If you want to upgrade to a newer version, visit the Windows IE website.)
- Opera v9.64+
- Safari v3.2+
Below are the browser settings that are required in SAM.gov. Instructions by operating system for changing these settings can be found in Browser Settings for Optimal Use of the System for Award Management:
- Enable TLS encryption
- Enable Cookies
- Disable Pop-up Blockers
- Clear Cache
- Toll-free SAM.gov Help Desk: 1-866-606-8220.
- Ask a question about SAM on the “Answer Center” Web page:https://www.fsd.gov/fsd-gov/home.do
- Browser Settings for Optimal use of the System for Award Management
- Quick Start Guide for Entities Interested in Being Eligible for Grants
- Quick Start Guide for Migrating Roles
- SAM User Guide
- SAM Webinar
- SAM Webinar PowerPoint