This page describes what the Defense Coordinating Officer does at Region 2.
Role of Defense Coordinating Officer in Disaster Operations
The Defense Coordinating Officer serves as the Federal Emergency Management Agency's single point of contact for the Department of Defense's support in the Regions.
The DCO has a Defense Coordinating Element (DCE) consisting of a staff and military liaison officers to facilitate coordination and support to activated Emergency Support Functions (ESFs). Specific responsibilities include:
- Build synergy & habitual relationships with:
- FEMA staff,
- State emergency responders
- State Adjutant General and Joint Force Headquarters-State staff;
- Key player in all local, state, federal, and DoD Homeland Defense and Civil Support exercises;
- Oversight with all military installations regarding Base Support Installation (BSI) operations; and
- National Special Security Event (NSSE) planning and support.
Leadership: LTC Branch (Acting)