- In general, FEMA imagery, video and audio materials are not copyrighted within the United States and are available for use. For international use, please contact us to request permission.
- You may use FEMA audio, video or photographs for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet web pages.
- Some materials may contain a Copyright Notice. It is your responsibility to identify the copyright owner and to obtain permission before making use of this material.
- Please acknowledge FEMA as the source of used material. Our preference for the credit line is: FEMA/<photographer’s name>, or without a photographer’s name: FEMA News Photo.
- FEMA materials may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by FEMA or by any FEMA employee of a commercial product, service or activity, or used in any other manner that might mislead the public.
Photographs are not protected by copyright unless noted. If copyrighted, permission should be obtained from the copyright owner prior to use. If not copyrighted, photographs may be downloaded, reproduced and distributed without further permission from FEMA and may be used for educational and informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet web pages.
Audio recordings are not protected by copyright unless noted. An audio recording may be downloaded, excerpted or reproduced and distributed, without further permission from FEMA. However, use of a portion or segment of an audiotape, such as talent, narration or music, may infringe a right of publicity or copyright and permission should be obtained from the source.
Video and Motion Picture Recordings
Videotape, video files and motion picture recordings are not protected by copyright unless noted. A recording may be reproduced and distributed without further permission from FEMA. Copyrighted music or footage, which is incorporated in a production, may not be used unless permission is obtained from the copyright owner. While in most instances using non-copyrighted segments is permitted, use for commercial purposes of a portion or segment containing talent or a recognizable person may infringe a right of publicity and permission should be obtained from the talent or recognizable person. These guidelines also apply to FEMA's "live television" satellite broadcasts.