On April 29, 2013, the Harrisburg launch event informed the public of their local flood risks and unveiled the Harrisburg High Water Mark signs. The Initiative strives to educate residents about flood safety and awareness, as well as encourages students to explore careers in science and math.
Launch Event Attendees
- Harrisburg: Mayor Linda Thompson, School District Superintendent Dr. Sybil Knight-Burney, city representatives including Kevin Hagerich and Kari Reagan-Bushey
- Regional: Ben Pratt, Susquehanna River Basin Commission
- State: Fred Boylstein and Cory Angell, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency
- Federal: Stacey Underwood, Marisa Lewis, and Ashley Williams (USACE – Federal lead); Vincent Brown and David Bollinger (FEMA); Mark Roland (USGS), Charles Ross (NWS NOAA)
Charles Ross, Vincent Brown, Mark Roland and Ben Pratt presented to 7th graders on the functions and roles of each of their respective agencies, local flood awareness, and flood preparedness. The presentation generated numerous questions and comments.
Press Conference at the Benjamin Franklin Middle School Auditorium
Mayor Linda Thompson and Vincent Brown spoke to the local press and school children about the High Water Mark Initiative and how to reduce their local flood risk. Additionally, they encouraged students to take the Initiative to learn more about their local risks and to inform their parents on how to prepare for a flood.
Roundtable Discussion on Mayor’s Cable Talk Show
Mayor Linda Thompson invited Vincent Brown, Stacey Underwood and Ben Pratt to discuss the purpose of the High Water Mark Initiative, the City’s local flood risks, where the public can obtain flood preparedness information, and how the community can reduce its flood risks. The discussion aired on local television.
The High Water Mark event drew significant media coverage by local news channels and newspapers. For clips from the event, please visit:
- High Water Mark Initiative – From Fox 43 Central Pennsylvania
- Mayor Linda Thompson unveils 'high-water mark' initiative to mark flood levels in Harrisburg – From Penn Live
- Mayor’s Cable Talk Show – From YouTube