CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $84,740 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Stearns County, Minn., for the construction of a safe room at the Rose Park manufactured home community.
“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V acting administrator Janet Odeshoo. “The construction of this safe room will protect the lives of vulnerable citizens by providing a secure location to seek shelter from tornados and other high wind events.”
“Stearns County is taking an important step to protect its residents,” said Kris Eide, director of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division (HSEM). “This is a significant part of the county’s long-term strategy to reduce damages to lives, property and the economy from future disasters.”
HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $112,986 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $28,246, will be provided by Stearns County.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.
Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455