FEMA Helpline can Answer Questions about Letters

Main Content
Release date: 
June 25, 2014
Release Number: 
NR 051

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – If you receive a letter from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, take the time to carefully read the information and instructions regarding your application for assistance.

If you still have questions, you should call FEMA’s helpline: 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585.  The helpline will be operating on the July 4th holiday.

FEMA notification letters may refer to issues with an application such as:

  • A missed appointment with an inspector;
  • Insufficient storm damage;
  • Adequate insurance coverage;
  • Pending receipt of your insurance settlement.

As an applicant, you may get a letter from FEMA if something is missing from your application. It could be as simple as the lack of a signature or basic information such as:

  • Proof  of identity;
  • Proof of occupancy or ownership of damaged property;
  • Documentation of disaster damage, such as: contractors’ estimates or receipts.

 After you register with FEMA:

An Inspector May Schedule An Appointment. After you register with FEMA - either online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) - a nine-digit registration number is assigned. An inspector may call to schedule an appointment to visit the damaged property, generally within 7-10 days of registration.

Inspector's Visit.  Keep your scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process continues quickly. The inspector will request a photo ID and verify your name, address and FEMA registration number. There is no fee for the inspection.

Someone who is 18 or older and lived in the household prior to the disaster must be present for the scheduled appointment.

The inspector will ask for identification and proof of ownership and occupancy (for homeowners) and occupancy only (for renters). Survivors can speed up the process by having the appropriate documents:

  • A photo ID to prove identity, such as driver license or passport;
  • Proof of occupancy, which may include:
    • A utility bill with the address of the damaged home, a credit card bill, delivery notice or other first class mail addressed to you at the address of the damaged home;
    • Earning statements;
    • Current driver’s license.

Proof of ownership, such as:

  • Deed showing you as the legal owner;
  • Title that lists you on actual escrow or title document for the purchase of the home;
  • Mortgage payment book with the address of the damaged home;
  • Property insurance policy for the damaged home;
  • Tax receipts or a property tax bill.

After the Inspector's Visit. You should receive a decision by mail within 14 days of the inspector's visit.

Last Updated: 
June 25, 2014 - 17:11
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top