Don’t Forget to File a Flood Insurance Claim

Main Content
Release date: 
June 25, 2014
Release Number: 
NR 052

MONTGOMERY, Ala. ‒ Homeowners and business owners who experienced flooding during the April 28 to May 5 presidentially declared disaster should file a claim for flooding loss as soon as possible, as claimants must file for their losses within 60 days of the event. 

Contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. An adjuster from the insurance company should contact you within a few days of filing a claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, call your insurance agent or company again. Make sure you have the following information handy:

  • The name of your insurance company.
  • Your policy number.
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times.

Remember, a flood insurance policy is usually separate from your homeowner’s policy, which in most cases does not pay for flood claims.

Next, separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

  • Take photographs of all damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value and receipts, if possible.
  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items, so if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.

Finally, your adjuster will provide you with a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. Remember, you must file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood – or by the end of June.

This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program or insurance company can make payment.

You will receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate and signed Proof of Loss form. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments due to the sheer number of claims submitted.

For general flood insurance questions, call the National Flood Insurance Call Center at 800-427-4661directly or through 711 Relay or contact your insurance company or agent.


Last Updated: 
June 25, 2014 - 17:14
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top