FEMA Awards $307,275 Grant to Village of Hamburg: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish six flood prone structures

Main Content
Release date: 
June 20, 2014
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2014-38

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $307,275 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the Village of Hamburg, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of six residential structures in the Mississippi River floodplain. Following demolition, these properties will be maintained as permanent open space in the community.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Acting Administrator Janet Odeshoo.  “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“In the past six years, Hamburg has experienced two major floods that almost reached the levels of the Great Flood of 1993,” said Jonathon Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.  “Removing these homes from the floodplain will enable these homeowners to move to higher ground and avoid heartache and property loss the next time the Mississippi River floods this area.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $409,700 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $102,425 will be provided by non-federal sources.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

###

Last Updated: 
June 20, 2014 - 15:51
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top