CLANTON, Ala. – State and local governments and certain nonprofit organizations in thirteen additional Alabama counties may now apply for federal disaster assistance under the Public Assistance program for eligible response and recovery expenses.
Blount, Butler, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, DeKalb, Etowah, Franklin, Geneva, Lamar, Perry, Pickens, and Tuscaloosa counties were added Tuesday to the May 2 major disaster declaration for severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that overwhelmed parts of Alabama from April 28 through May 5.
The thirteen additional counties are now eligible to apply for all seven categories listed under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance program.
Categories A and B cover debris removal and emergency protective measures, while categories C through G include more permanent work on infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, public buildings and contents, as well as water facilities, public utilities and parks.
The five counties previously designated for Public Assistance for categories A and B are now eligible to apply for all seven categories. These counties are Baldwin, Jefferson, Lee, Limestone and Mobile.
Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA reimburses applicants a minimum of 75 percent of their eligible expenses. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from state and local sources. The state manages the grants for all projects.
The eighteen total counties in Alabama now eligible for Public Assistance categories A through G are Baldwin, Blount, Butler, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, DeKalb, Etowah, Franklin, Geneva, Jefferson, Lamar, Lee, Limestone, Mobile, Perry, Pickens, and Tuscaloosa.
More information about FEMA’s Public Assistance program is available at fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit.