LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today has expanded federal disaster aid to 11 Arkansas counties. This action makes Clay, Cleburne, Faulkner, Fulton, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Lawrence, Randolph, Sharp and White counties eligible for reimbursement for a portion of their expenses due to the April 27 severe storms, tornadoes and flooding.
Public entities and certain non-profits in these counties are now eligible to apply for support from FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) program. Federal PA reimbursement may cover emergency protective measures, debris removal and repairs to infrastructure, including roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, parks and recreation, and other facilities.
Faulkner County was previously designated on April 29 for Public Assistance for Emergency Work and Debris Removal. Today’s action extends the county’s eligibility to include reimbursement for approved infrastructure repair and restoration projects.
“People depend on having roads, schools, hospitals, water and electricity. These and other facilities can be damaged or affected by severe weather such as the April 27 storms,” said State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell. “That’s why infrastructure repair is such a critical component to our recovery.”
“FEMA reimbursement helps the state and communities cope with the unpredictable costs of emergency response, debris removal and repairing infrastructure damaged by disaster,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Timothy J. Scranton. “These grants help communities complete infrastructure projects that, in turn, help people and businesses get back on their feet.”
Eligible applicants for the PA program include state, county and local government agencies and private non-profits that provide critical or essential services. FEMA obligates funds to the state for 75 percent of eligible costs, while the state and applicant cover the remaining 25 percent.
For more information on Arkansas disaster recovery, visit www.fema.gov/disaster/4174. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion6 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FEMA. Also visit our blog at www.fema.gov/blog.
Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.
The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) is the state's homeland security and preparedness agency. The agency works to identify and lessen the effects of emergencies, disasters and threats to Arkansas by developing effective prevention, preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery actions for all disasters and emergencies. For additional information, contact ADEM at (501) 683-6700 or visit the website at www.adem.arkansas.gov.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/femaregion6, the R6 Hurricane Preparedness website at www.fema.gov/about/regions/regionvi/updates.shtm and the FEMA Blog at http://blog.fema.gov.