Main Content
Release date: 
April 30, 2014
Release Number: 

Little Rock, Ark. – Homeowners, renters and business owners who sustained property damage as a result of the recent severe storms, tornadoes and flooding in Faulkner County, Ark. are urged to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), as they may be eligible for disaster assistance.

“The most important step for citizens affected by the recent tornado is filing an application with FEMA,” said David Maxwell, Director of the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management.
The presidential disaster declaration of April 29 makes federal assistance available to eligible individuals and business owners in Faulkner County. 

“FEMA wants to help people get back on their feet as soon as possible, but we need to hear from them in order to do so,” said FEMA’s Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO) Timothy J. Scranton. “There are three easy ways to register and it is the first step to receiving federal aid.”

Homeowners, renters and businesses owner can register online at or via smartphone at Applicants may also call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also may be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

Eligible survivors should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.
Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster-relief organization such as the American Red Cross, or local community or church organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security card. Applicants will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.


Last Updated: 
April 30, 2014 - 16:30
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top