Main Content

FEMA Awards $2 Million for Jefferson Parish Elevations

Main Content
Release date: 
March 11, 2014
Release Number: 

DENTON, Texas — A federal grant totaling more than $2 million from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will help fund the elevation of 16 additional homes in Jefferson Parish.

The grant covers $2,063,418 of the total project costs of $2.7 million. FEMA grants pay the federal share of the eligible costs for the work. Under a cost-sharing formula, FEMA reimburses the state for 75 percent of the total costs, while the state and/or applicant cover the remaining 25 percent.

“The elevation of these structures will significantly reduce the potential for flooding during future weather events,” said FEMA’s Regional Administrator Tony Robinson.

This project was initially awarded in April 2011 to mitigate 45 properties for a federal share of more than $5.7 million. Given the high concentration of repetitive loss properties in this parish, additional funds were allocated by the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. Jefferson Parish will utilize all available funds to mitigate these properties benefiting both the property owners and National Flood Insurance Program.

"The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program helps communities rebuild stronger after a disaster," Robinson said. "This elevation project in Jefferson Parish is a perfect example of what our mitigation program aims to accomplish - rebuilding from past disasters in a way that better protects properties against future disasters."

Once the structures are elevated, individual homeowners will be required to maintain flood insurance on their newly elevated homes for the life of the properties.

The federal funding for this project was made available after Hurricane Gustav made landfall in Louisiana in September 2008.

You can follow FEMA on Twitter at or on Facebook at Also visit our blog at

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.  Follow us on Twitter at and the FEMA Blog at

Last Updated: 
March 11, 2014 - 11:17
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top