Federal/State Disaster Aid for Colorado Flooding Surpasses $267 Million
DENVER – Since heavy rains brought flooding in September 2013, Colorado survivors have received more than $267 million in federal/state recovery assistance.
More than $219 million has come from disaster grants, flood insurance payments and low-interest disaster loans. More than $48 million has been obligated through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance program.
- FEMA has granted $55 million for housing assistance and more than $4.7 million in other needs assistance, such as disaster-related medical expenses or personal property loss in 11 designated counties. As part of the other needs assistance program, the state is funding another $1.6 million. Flood survivors have also received disaster unemployment assistance and disaster legal services.
- FEMA has obligated more than $48 million to publicly owned entities and certain nonprofits in 18 designated counties. Through the Public Assistance cost-share program, FEMA reimburses 75 percent for eligible, disaster-related costs for debris removal, emergency measures and permanent work to repair and replace disaster-damaged public facilities. The remaining 25 percent nonfederal share comes from state and local sources. The state manages the grants for all projects.
- All Public Assistance Project Worksheets (the form used to document the scope of work and cost estimate for a recovery project) in Sedgwick, Logan, Washington, Lincoln, Crowley, and Clear Creek counties have been completed. Altogether the FEMA/State of Colorado Public Assistance team has completed more than 500 Project Worksheets as communities continue to work hard to recover from last fall’s floods.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved $97.6 million in federal disaster loans to Colorado homeowners, renters, businesses and private nonprofit organizations that sustained damage from the severe storms and flooding.
- The National Flood Insurance Program has approved $62.3 million to settle 2,015 claims.
- FEMA is providing manufactured housing units for 44 households who have no other suitable housing available.
- Approximately 48 percent of all permanent repair work submitted to FEMA and the state’s Public Assistance program contains mitigation measures designed to prevent future flood damage. Nearly 70 percent of large projects or those with a cost estimate of more than $67,500 contain these mitigation measures. FEMA pays for 75 percent of these measures through Section 406 mitigation.