FEMA Awards $746,077 Grant to the Village of Ottawa: Hazard Mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish nine flood prone structures

Main Content
Release date: 
January 24, 2014
Release Number: 
RV-2014-02

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $746,077 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the Village of Ottawa, Oh., for the acquisition and demolition of nine residential structures and the acquisition of one adjacent vacant parcel located in the Blanchard River floodplain.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

 

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of losing lives and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III. “The acquisition of these homes permanently removes the structures from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

 

“Federal funding for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program allows Ohio to continue with important mitigation projects such as this, which aids in the reduction of property damage caused by repetitive flooding,” said Nancy Dragani, executive director of the Ohio Emergency Management Agency.

 

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $994,769 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $248,692, will be provided by the State of Ohio and the Village of Ottawa.

 

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

 

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

 

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

 

###

Last Updated: 
January 27, 2014 - 09:12
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top