FEMA Awards $90,757 Grant to State of Ohio: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to install 16 residential tornado safe room structures

Main Content
Release date: 
August 30, 2013
Release Number: 
RV-NR-2013-019

CHICAGO -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $90,757 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (EMA) for the construction and installation of 16 residential tornado safe room structures.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of losing lives and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III.“The construction of these safe rooms will protect the lives of residents by providing a secure location to seek shelter from tornados and other high wind events.”

“The Ohio Safe room program is great contribution to our mission of a Safer Ohio”, said Nancy Dragani, Ohio EMA Executive Director. “We applaud the work FEMA has done to support Ohio as we work toward mitigating against disasters.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $121,010 eligible project cost.The remaining 25 percent of the funds $30,253 will be provided by the State of Ohio and participating homeowners.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

###

Media Contact:

FEMA Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

OEMA Contact:  Tamara McBride, (614) 799-3695

 

 

 

Last Updated: 
September 3, 2013 - 14:25
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top