Public Assistance: By the Numbers

Main Content
Release date: 
August 23, 2013
Release Number: 
NR-234

NEW YORK — Since Hurricane Sandy struck New York, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $1.7 billion in Public Assistance grants to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and eligible private nonprofits for costs associated with emergency response, debris removal and repairing or rebuilding of damaged public facilities. More than 2,300 grants have been approved so far.

Recently approved emergency and permanent work grant projects:

  • $19.8 million to the New York State Department of Transportation for debris removal.
  • $4.9 million to Long Beach Medical Center for the removal of floodwater and damaged materials; temporary electrical service through a generator and temporary power feed; installation of temporary lighting; the use of a mobile boiler; and environmental testing.
  • $2.5 million to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for the deployment of employees to emergency shelters to provide clinical and medical services; materials used at the shelters such as heated throws, safety vests and laptop locks; building support services for the command center; wellness-check data entry; and administrative costs.
  • $1.1 million to the Town of Hempstead Sanitary District No. 1 for debris removal.
  • More than $451,000 to Hudson River Park Trust for the repair of its building and the repair or replacement of equipment including control valves and isolation valves, bypass feeder and expansion tank, equipment connections, water meter, water booster pump, bypass with shutoff valve, hot water heater, irrigation pumps and water service valve.
  • More than $300,000 to Long Beach Public Schools for the repair of Lindell Elementary School. Repairs or replacement work included the boiler room, water extraction, cleaning and sanitizing contents and equipment, fire alarm and public address system, removal of damaged plaster walls and restoration of damaged areas.
  • More than $54,000 to the Village of Piermont for the repair or replacement of items at the village’s  boardwalk including the replacement of deck boards and a railing, benches, a walkway extension accessible to people with physical disabilities, a chain-link fence and a gate.
  • Nearly $49,000 to the Village of Amityville for the repair or replacement of items at James A. Caples Memorial Park including replacement of dugout benches, memorial benches, bleachers and a shaded seating area.
  • More than $24,000 to the Village of Malverne for the repair and replacement of storm drain box and pipes, and the re-installation of catch basins with reinforcement slab tops.
  • Nearly $20,000 to the Town of Islip for the restoration of damaged public service utilities at five pump stations including the replacement of pump station controllers, transformers, relays, thermals and starters.

A recently approved cost share adjustment allows FEMA’s Public Assistance program to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and eligible private nonprofit organizations 90 percent of eligible costs for emergency and permanent work. The remaining 10 percent is provided by non-federal funds. The state forwards the federal funds to the eligible local governments or organizations that incurred costs.

To learn more about FEMA Public Assistance in New York, visit: fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit and dhses.ny.gov/oem/recovery.

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/sandyny, twitter.com/FEMASandy, facebook.com/FEMASandy and fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
August 23, 2013 - 15:22
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top