FEMA Awards $1,093,748 Grant to City of Wood Dale: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish five flood prone structures

Main Content
Release date: 
July 12, 2013
Release Number: 
RV-013-016

CHICAGO -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,093,748 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the City of Wood Dale, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of five residential structures located in the floodplain of Salt Creek. These structures have been damaged multiple times from past flooding and rain events.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III.  “The acquisition of these homes permanently removes the structures from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,458,330 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $364,582 will be provided by Wood Dale.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

###

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455

 

Last Updated: 
July 18, 2013 - 09:42
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top