AURORA, Ill. – Federal assistance in Illinois has reached more than $116.2 million, distributed among more than 46,250 individuals and households, since a major disaster was declared for storms and flooding that occurred April 16 through May 5.
The most recent flooding is not included in the presidential disaster declaration for Illinois.
The latest summary of federal assistance includes:
- More than $116.2 million in FEMA grants approved for individuals and households;
- Of that amount, more than $100 million has been approved for housing assistance, including temporary rental assistance and home repair costs;
- More than $15 million has been approved to cover other essential disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and damaged personal possessions;
- More than 66,600 home inspections have been completed to confirm disaster damage;
- More than $23 million in loans to homeowners, renters or business owners has been approved by the U.S. Small Business Administration; and
- More than 4,240 visits have been made to Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) operated jointly by FEMA and the state of Illinois.
- The two Chicago Disaster Recovery Centers close today at 6 p.m.
The registration deadline is July 9 for residents of 33 counties in the major disaster declaration.
Individuals can register online at www.disasterassistance.gov or via web-enabled phone at m.fema.gov. Applicants may also call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. People who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS) can call 800-621-3362. For more information, visit the Illinois Disaster website www.fema.gov/disaster/4116.
Multilingual phone operators are available on the FEMA helpline. Choose Option 2 for Spanish and Option 3 for other languages.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.
Media Contact: 571-408-1835