Public Assistance: By the Numbers

Main Content
Release date: 
June 20, 2013
Release Number: 
NR-226

NEW YORK — Since Hurricane Sandy struck New York, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $1.5 billion in Public Assistance grants to reimburse local, state and tribal governments and eligible private nonprofits for some of the costs of emergency response, debris removal and repairing or rebuilding of damaged public facilities. Approximately 1,515 grants have been approved so far.

A recently approved cost share adjustment has allowed FEMA’s Public Assistance program to reimburse 90 percent of eligible costs (rather than the usual 75 percent). Here are some recent reimbursements that reflect the cost share adjustment.

Emergency work expenses

  • An additional $53.4 million to the $267.3 million already obligated to Long Island Power Authority for permanent repairs to overhead power distribution lines and costs for staging of materials such as wood poles, cross arms, transformers and conductors.
  • An additional $22.9 million to the $114.6 million already obligated to NYU Medical Center for emergency protective measures related to patient evacuations, repairs and emergency restoration of critical services and facilities.
  • An additional $20.6 million to the $103.1 million to New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation for emergency cleanup, dewatering, remediation, temporary repairs at Coler, Bellevue, Coney Island, and Metropolitan Hospitals; temporary ambulance services, as mandated by NYC Department of Health.
  • An additional $22.3 million to the $111.5 million already obligated to New York City Department of Environmental Protection for emergency protective measures for the implementation of the Rapid Repair Program. The program maintains call centers; conducts assessments of storm-damaged single family residential structures; evaluates scope of work assessments; performs eligible emergency repairs; and conducts safety inspections of temporary repairs and overall project management.
  • An additional $21.3 million to the $106.3 million already obligated to the New York City Police Department for emergency protective measures for evacuation of citizens; search and rescue; distribution of life-saving equipment; patrolling and making residential checks door-to-door; restoration of the city to normal operations by removal of fallen trees, regulating traffic and monitoring fuel distribution.
  • An additional $20.6 million to the $103.1 million to New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation for emergency protective measures including the following: general emergency cleanup and remediation; mechanical, electrical and plumbing cleanup and remediation; and temporary emergency room at Bellevue Hospital.
  • $6.7 million to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation for emergency protective measures at Cromwell Recreation Center for demolition, removal, and disposal of concrete base and steel-framed building which was determined to be irreparable and posed a hazard to public health and safety, navigable waterways and the environment.
  • $4.8 million to the New York City Board of Elections for emergency protective measures for relocation of equipment, set up of temporary polling sites/tents, installation and connection to necessary power to secure polling sites and de-construction of sites.

Debris removal

  • An additional $18.7 million to the $93.4 million for New York City Department of Sanitation
  • An additional $6.9 million to the $34.8 million for Nassau County Department of Public Works
  • An additional $4.9 million to the $24.8 million for the Town of Hempstead
  • An additional $4.9 million to the $24.3 million for the City of Long Beach
  • $12.5 million for the New York State Department of Transportation

As previously stated a recently approved cost share adjustment allows FEMA’s Public Assistance program to reimburse state, tribal and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations 90 percent of eligible costs of emergency and permanent work. The remaining 10 percent is provided by non-federal funds. The state forwards the federal funds to the eligible local governments or organizations that incurred costs.

To learn more about FEMA Public Assistance in New York, visit: fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit and dhses.ny.gov/oem/recovery/.

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/sandyny, twitter.com/FEMASandy, facebook.com/FEMASandy and fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
June 20, 2013 - 11:59
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top