FEMA REIMBURSEMENTS TO NEW JERSEY GOVERNMENTS TOP $452 MILLION

Main Content
Release date: 
June 6, 2013
Release Number: 
DR-4086-NJ NR-165

TRENTON, N.J. —The Federal Emergency Management Agency has obligated more than
$452 million in Public Assistance grants to reimburse local and state governments and eligible nonprofits in New Jersey after Superstorm Sandy.

Public Assistance grants help pay for emergency response, debris removal and repairing or rebuilding damaged public facilities. So far 2,899 grants have been approved, including more than $18 million for beach projects:

  • $14.5 million to Atlantic Highlands Harbor for repairs to piers at the marina.
  • $2.13 million to Point Pleasant Beach for repairs to the Point Pleasant Beach Borough boardwalk.
  • $1.26 million to Middlesex County for repairs to the boardwalk.
  • $382,605 to Mantoloking for repairs to beach crossovers and bulkheads.
  • $134,907 to Keansburg for repairs to parks and beachways.

Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA pays grant money to the state, which then forwards the federal funds to eligible state agencies, tribal and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations. The grant money reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs of emergency and permanent work. The remaining 25 percent is provided by non-federal funds.

To learn more about FEMA Public Assistance in New Jersey, visit fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit and state.nj.us/njoem/plan/public-assist.html.

For more information about New Jersey’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/disaster/4086, twitter.com/FEMASandy, facebook.com/FEMASandy and fema.gov/blog.

# # #

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at www.fema.gov/blog, www.twitter.com/fema, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at www.twitter.com/craigatfema

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
June 6, 2013 - 13:47
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: