$2.2 Million Awarded to Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office for Hurricane Isaac Recovery

Main Content
Release date: 
May 7, 2013
Release Number: 
DR-4080-LA-227

BATON ROUGE, La. — The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office will receive a nearly $2.2  million federal grant to reimburse its efforts to protect citizens during and after Hurricane Isaac, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said Tuesday.

The office will receive $2,198,261 to reimburse it for expenses associated with providing emergency patrols, responding to emergency calls, closing roads, conducting search and rescue, and staffing the 911 center and Jefferson Parish Correctional Center.

“The men and women of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office worked the front lines to make sure residents were safe during this destructive hurricane,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gerard M. Stolar of FEMA. “Their work before, during and after the storm helped prevent property damage and save lives.”

The newly awarded funds are a portion of the more than $365.4 million in Individual Assistance and Public Assistance recovery dollars approved for applicants in the state since the Aug. 29, 2012, disaster declaration.

FEMA pays 75 percent of the eligible costs of Public Assistance projects, while the state and/or applicant cover the remaining 25 percent. Once FEMA reimburses the state of Louisiana it is the state’s responsibility to manage the funds, which includes making disbursements to local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs.

More information on Louisiana disaster recovery is available online at www.fema.gov/disaster/4080 or www.gohsep.la.gov. FEMA is also on Twitter at twitter.com/femaregion6 and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FEMA.

Last Updated: 
May 7, 2013 - 14:19
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top