Replacing Lost Or Damaged Records Part Of New Jersey Recovery

Main Content
Release date: 
March 29, 2013
Release Number: 

TRENTON, N.J. -- Replacing lost or damaged records is an important step in recovering from Hurricane Sandy.

While it can seem like a challenging task, the good news is that many vital records are relatively easy to replace. Check the list below to find out where to obtain official copies of your lost or damaged documents.

Insurance: Contact your insurance agent for copies of your policies, recent billing records and cash-value statements.

Financial Records: Contact your bank, credit union, credit card company, brokerage firm and credit bureau for copies of account statements, loan applications, credit reports and other records.

Social Security Cards: Find the location of the nearest Social Security Administration office by calling 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778) or check online at  To obtain a replacement Social Security card, you will need to show proof of identity such as a driver’s license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport.

Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates: Call the New Jersey Vital Records bureau at 866-649-8726 (toll-free) or 609-292-4087. Information on how to order replacement records is also available online at or by mail at:

State of New Jersey

Vital Records Bureau

P.O. Box 370

Trenton, NJ 08625-0370.

Divorce Decrees: Call the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center at 609-421-6100.

Savings Bonds: If your savings bonds have been lost, visit to download PDF Form 1048. Mail the completed form to:

Bureau of the Public Debt

P.O. Box 7012

Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012.

Federal Tax Returns: Visit for information on obtaining expedited copies of past tax returns and extended tax deadlines for business owners impacted by Hurricane Sandy.

State Tax Returns: To order copies of your state tax returns, call the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 609-292-6400 or visit

Motor Vehicle Titles:  Visit any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission agency in the state to obtain duplicates of your driver’s license, motor vehicle title or registration.  You will need several proofs of identification. Call the DMV toll-free in New Jersey at 888-486-3339 (TTY 609-292-5120) for detailed instructions or visit the agency online at for further information.

Green Cards: Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services online at to fill out an online application to replace your permanent resident card or download a mail-in form

Voter Registration: Contact your county Superintendent of Elections to replace your voter registration card.

Damaged Money:  Contact the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing online at  or call them at (866) 575-2361 (toll-free) or (202) 874-2141 for information on replacing  your hurricane-damaged currency.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at,,, and Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
April 1, 2013 - 11:05
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top