Public Assistance: By the Numbers

Main Content
Release date: 
March 28, 2013
Release Number: 
NR-196

NEW YORK — Since Hurricane Sandy struck New York, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $806 million in Public Assistance grants to reimburse state, tribal and local governments and eligible private nonprofits for costs relating to emergency response, debris removal and repairing or rebuilding damaged public facilities.

The most significant of recent grants is a $54.9 million reimbursement to the New York City Department of Environmental Protection for the Sheltering and Temporary Essential Power (STEP) pilot program. This program initiates certain emergency protective measures by immediately restoring electric service, basic heat, hot water and making emergency exterior repairs to allow individuals to remain in their homes. More than 554 total public assistant grants have been approved so far. Here are some of the recent reimbursements:

Emergency work expenses

  • $54.9 million to the New York City Department of Environmental Protection for the STEP program to reduce the demand for the establishment of other shelter options by providing individuals the opportunity to return to or remain in their homes
  • More than $784,000 to the Hugh L. Carey Battery Park City Authority for emergency cleanup and removal of damaged materials at Pier A and community center, along with providing security personnel at ball field during cleanup
  • $570,000 to the Long Beach Medical Center for temporary emergency electrical repairs to the emergency room, approximately 50 patient rooms and supporting services (i.e., radiology and labs) in order to make the critical facility operational

Permanent work expenses

  • More than $712,000 to the New York City Department of Sanitation for repair and/or replacement of multiple fleet vehicles, including replacement of ancillary vehicle equipment (i.e., two-way radios)
  • Nearly $272,000 to the City of Long Beach for repairs to a wastewater treatment plant and three associated pumping stations

Debris removal

  • $1.6 million to the Town of Southampton
  • $1.2 million to the City of White Plains
  • More than $830,000 to the Village of Babylon
  • Nearly $713,000 to the Village of East Rockaway

FEMA’s Public Assistance program reimburses state, tribal and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations 75 percent of eligible costs of emergency and permanent work. The remaining 25 percent is provided by non-federal funds. The state forwards the federal funds to the eligible local governments or organizations that incurred costs.

To learn more about FEMA Public Assistance in New York, visit: fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit and dhses.ny.gov/oem/recovery/.

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/sandyny, twitter.com/FEMASandy, facebook.com/FEMASandy and fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
March 28, 2013 - 13:01
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top