FEMA Awards $3.2 Million Grant for Hazard Mitigation Project in Montgomery County

Main Content
Release date: 
March 1, 2013
Release Number: 
4030-148

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- More than $3.2 million has been awarded to fund a hazard mitigation project in Springfield Township, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today.

FEMA has awarded a total of $3,214,928 to the project, which is intended to reduce risk of damage from future flooding. The FEMA portion of the grant will fund the acquisition and demolition of 12 repetitive damaged structures that are located in a Special Flood Hazard Area. The properties will be deed-restricted as open space in perpetuity, which will help to restore the natural functions of the land.

Through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, FEMA awards funds to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program supports communities as they implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Thomas J. McCool.

This award is an outcome of the ongoing collaboration between the Commonwealth and FEMA as recovery from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee continues in Pennsylvania.  

“As we continue to work closely with our federal partners on recovery, mitigation projects like these are an important step in reducing future storm damage,” PEMA Director Glenn M. Cannon said.

The FEMA award is 75 percent of the expense of the project, which will cost a total of $4,286,570. The remaining 25 percent of the total cost will be shared by the Commonwealth and local entities. The Commonwealth will pay 22 percent of the remaining part of the total cost; the local part of the cost-share will be three percent.     

To learn more about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, see: http://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. FEMA Region III’s jurisdiction includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.  Stay informed of FEMA’s activities online: videos and podcasts are available at http://www.fema.gov/medialibrary and www.youtube.com/fema. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion3.

Last Updated: 
March 6, 2013 - 11:42