Funding For Railroads Damaged By Irene Tops $22 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
February 26, 2013
Release Number: 
090

ESSEX JUNCTION, Vt. – While the destruction of large parts of Vermont’s road system by Tropical Storm Irene received much attention, the state’s railroad network was also heavily damaged.

Now, federal and state officials say that more than $22 million has been put into repairs of damaged railroad tracks, bridges, and other infrastructure, including almost $20 million worth of Federal Emergency Management Agency funding.

“Vermont’s roads took a significant hit during Irene, but many residents may not have been aware how much of the rail infrastructure was also damaged or destroyed,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Mark Landry, the head of FEMA’s mission in Vermont. “Restoring these bridges and rail lines has been an important part of the recovery effort.”

“The Rail Division of the Vermont Agency of Transportation did a remarkable job restoring service immediately after Irene, and their work in making permanent repairs to the rail system has been a success story that deserves recognition,” said Vermont Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security Director Joe Flynn.

FEMA’s Public Assistance program has approved funding for a total of 80 projects related to the repair or replacement of damaged rail infrastructure, including 16 for bridges and 64 for the repair of damage to various segments of track, including the rail bed and associated culverts.

Total estimated project costs to date are as follows:

 

Project

Cost

Est. federal share

 

 

 

16 Bridges

$18,272,212

$16,444,990

 

 

 

Repairs to rail beds and small structures

$3,740,920

$3,366,829

 

 

 

Total estimated project costs to date:

$22,013,132

$19,811,819

For projects related to Tropical Storm Irene, FEMA’s Public Assistance program pays 90 percent of the eligible costs and the applicant is responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

To date, FEMA has provided Vermont with more than $23 million in grants to individuals and households for losses related to Irene, and another $133 million in grants to cover the cost of emergency services related to the disaster, and for repairing or replacing damaged public facilities such as roads, buildings and utilities.

FEMA has also obligated nearly $13 million for hazard mitigation efforts including home buyouts to remove damaged or destroyed homes from harm’s way.

###

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
February 26, 2013 - 14:36
Related Disaster: