Main Content

If Insurance Is Slow, Talk With FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
January 12, 2013
Release Number: 

TRENTON, N.J. -- If your house is not livable and you have insurance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency may be able to provide temporary housing or rent under certain circumstances. 

FEMA may be able to help if any of these situations apply:

  • You used all the rent money that your insurance company provided under Alternative Living Expenses coverage and your home is not ready for occupancy.
  • Your insurance does not include Alternative Living Expenses.
  • Your insurance settlement for Hurricane Sandy has not arrived.

Register online at or; visit a disaster recovery center; or call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) or 711/VRS.

If you already registered with FEMA and were told that your losses appeared to be covered by insurance, you can request rental assistance to get you through an insurance delay. Write a letter to FEMA noting that the settlement has been delayed at least 30 days.

Mail to:        FEMA IHP

National Processing Service Center

P.O. Box 10055

Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Or fax to:      800-827-8112

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at,,, and Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
January 14, 2013 - 10:47
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: