FEMA Awards Nearly $15 Million in Public Assistance Grants to Local Governments

Main Content
Release date: 
January 8, 2013
Release Number: 
NR-130

New York City Department of Transportation, New York City Parks and Recreation, Nassau County and the Town of Babylon receive FEMA funds.    

NEW YORK – This week the Federal Emergency Management Agency announced four additional Public Assistance grants totaling nearly $15 million to reimburse New York City Department of Transportation, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, Nassau County and the town of Babylon for costs associated with debris removal following Hurricane Sandy.

The hurricane’s strong winds and heavy rains brought down trees, tree limbs and power lines creating hazardous conditions, impeding traffic and leaving behind more than six million cubic yards of debris. Collecting and clearing out that debris has been one of the most difficult and time-consuming challenges of the recovery. Statewide, 76 percent of storm-generated debris has been picked up.

“FEMA is committed to getting people back into their homes,” said Michael F. Byrne, FEMA federal coordinating officer. “Debris removal has cleared the way for people to move out of hotels and shelters and begin repairing their homes and communities. As the New Year begins, FEMA will continue to work with our partners in state and local governments to rebuild New York stronger.”

“Debris poses one of the greatest obstacles to repairing homes, rebuilding infrastructure, and helping the survivors of Hurricane Sandy,” said Jerome M. Hauer, Commissioner of the NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services. “These agencies make it possible to get necessary equipment, emergency response, and other vital services to hard hit areas blocked by millions of pounds of debris. We are thankful for the countless hours and phenomenal work provided.”

The FEMA Public Assistance program reimburses state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations at least 75 percent of eligible debris-removal costs. The remaining 25 percent comes from non-federal funds.

For debris removal to be eligible, the damage must be a direct result of Hurricane Sandy, and the work must be necessary to:

  • Eliminate an immediate threat to lives, public health and safety;
  • Eliminate immediate threats of significant damage to improved public and private property when the measures are cost effective; or
  • Ensure the economic recovery of the affected community to the benefit of the community-at-large.

This week the New York City Department of Transportation received $4.7 million, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation was awarded $4.1 million, Nassau County was granted $3.8 million, and the town of Babylon received $2.1 million.

Since Hurricane Sandy made landfall, FEMA has provided more than $334 million in Public Assistance grants in New York State.

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit www.fema.gov/SandyNY, www.twitter.com/FEMASandy, www.facebook.com/FEMASandy and www.fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
January 8, 2013 - 10:29
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: