FEMA Obligates $1.1 Million to St. Tammany Parish for Debris Removal

Main Content
Release date: 
December 21, 2012
Release Number: 

BATON ROUGE, La. A $1.1 million federal grant has been awarded to St. Tammany Parish to help with costs for removing debris created by Hurricane Isaac’s high winds and flooding, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced.

The FEMA grant, totaling $1,127,286, is obligated to the parish to help defray the cost of removing and disposing of hazardous trees as well as vegetative and other debris from public rights of way, and private and public improved properties in the parish.

“FEMA places a high priority on getting debris cleaned up after a disaster,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gerard M. Stolar. “This federal assistance will contribute significantly to St. Tammany’s recovery efforts.”

The FEMA grant covers the federal share of the parish’s eligible costs for the work. Under a cost-sharing formula, FEMA reimburses the state for 75 percent of the total costs, while the state and/or applicant pays the remaining 25 percent.

The newly obligated funds are a portion of the more than $144.1 million in total Public Assistance recovery dollars approved for the state since the Aug. 29 declaration for Hurricane Isaac.

Once FEMA reimburses the state of Louisiana it is the state’s responsibility to manage the funds, which includes making disbursements to local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs.

For more information on Louisiana disaster recovery, click www.fema.gov/disaster/4080 or www.gohsep.la.gov. You can follow FEMA on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion6 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FEMA. Also visit our blog at www.fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
December 21, 2012 - 10:09
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top