Survivors Must Contact FEMA to Keep Temporary Housing Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
December 8, 2012
Release Number: 

New York – Hurricane Sandy survivors, who received temporary housing assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and continue to have a housing need, must fill out an important form for additional short-term rental assistance.

FEMA mails all applicants who receive rental assistance the “Declaration for Continuing Need for Rental Assistance” form. It reaffirms that applicants have an ongoing need for temporary housing while they search for a permanent place to live.

  • This form is mailed 15 days after applicants receive their initial rental assistance grant.
  • Applicants who need additional rental assistance must complete the form and mail it back to FEMA at the address printed on the form.
  • If you don’t have the form, contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362).

Returning to a permanent home is a significant milestone on the road to recovery. FEMA rental assistance may last for up to 18 months from the date of declaration. So it’s important for survivors to have a permanent housing plan.

Survivors with questions about temporary housing assistance should contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362). Applicants who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS) can call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers operate 24 hours a day seven days a week until further notice.

Individuals may register for help online at or by smartphone or tablet at 

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit,, and

Last Updated: 
December 8, 2012 - 14:45
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top