FEMA Awards More than $75 Million to New York’s Finest

Main Content
Release date: 
December 6, 2012
Release Number: 
NR-078

NEW YORK – The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved more than $75 million in Public Assistance (PA) funding to the New York Police Department to help cover some of its costs for saving lives and protecting property of New Yorkers before, during and after Hurricane Sandy. FEMA reimburses 75 percent of the cost for overtime and compensatory time expenditures.

“In times of crisis New Yorkers pull together,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Michael F. Byrne. “The work performed by the NYPD saved lives and helped countless people. I am pleased to announce this award and thank the men and women of the NYPD for all their hard work.”

Between Oct. 25 and Nov. 11, 2012, more than 200,000 uniformed and civilian personnel employed by the NYPD were involved in responding to emergency needs prior to, during, and after the hurricane and subsequent nor'easter. Their actions included:

  • Preparing for the hurricane and evacuating residents living in flood prone neighborhoods;
  • Distributing food and water to survivors;
  • Patrolling and conducting door-to-door checks on residents;
  • Assisting residents in obtaining emergency medical care; and
  • Removing fallen trees, regulating traffic and monitoring gas distribution.

Under FEMA’s PA program, the agency obligates funds to the state for 75 percent of eligible costs, the remaining 25 percent will be provided by non-federal funds. The state forwards the federal funds to the eligible local governments or organizations that incurred costs, in this case the NYPD. While FEMA reimburses most eligible disaster response and recovery costs, local officials must identify, document and justify disaster-related expenses.

FEMA continues to provide PA funding for projects throughout New York. In addition to the $75 million grant to the NYPD, FEMA has previously provided $39 million for debris removal in Long Beach and Nassau County. Today, the agency also announced that $114 million has been awarded to New York University Medical Center.

For more information on New York’s disaster recovery, visit www.fema.gov/disaster/4085,
http://twitter.com/FEMASandy, www.facebook.com/FEMASandy and www.fema.gov/blog

Last Updated: 
December 6, 2012 - 16:51
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top