WINDSOR, Conn. – Outreach teams from FEMA will be at Lowe’s home improvement stores in Milford, New Haven and Orange this weekend to explain techniques that may reduce potential damage to homes, businesses and property from future flooding.
Mitigation specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency will offer “how-to” information for retrofitting buildings and elevating utilities. Specialists can also provide clean up tips for removing mold and mildew from a storm-damaged home.
FEMA teams will be at the following locations from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8, and Sunday, Dec. 9:
- Lowe’s – 311 Old Gate Lane, Milford, CT 06460
- Lowe’s – 115 Foxon Blvd., New Haven, CT 06513
- Lowe’s – 50 Boston Post Road, Orange, CT 06477
Information will include instructions on how to:
- Relocate circuit breaker panels, outlets and switches above potential floodwaters;
- Move washer and dryer hookups to a higher floor;
- Elevate furnaces and water heaters; and
- Prevent sewer backups with a backflow valve.
More information on ways to protect your home from future disasters is available at www.fema.gov/safer-stronger-protected-homes-communities.